What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cross pollination and seed harvesting.

So I've got my first mass flowering and I want to propagate some seeds. How can I ensure cross pollination of different Venus Flytraps?

Also, I've noticed that my 'Pink Venus' cultivar isn't flowering. I was hoping to cross those with my green flytraps. Are some varieties of flytraps just sterile? I have yet to see any kind of flower stalk emerge.

4iiyh5.jpg

Pink venus is probably a weaker plant because it doesn't produce as much chlorophyll therefore it struggles compared to the other flytraps, you can see this just by the size comparison of your two plants.

The pink venus may flower in time, it just might require more time and possible more prey, I'm not sure.

As far as cross-pollination goes, just dab some pollen from flower to flower, or you could even be so crude as to rub the two flowers together.

Expect your Dionaea to slump in growth and become weak as they produce seed though, as most of their effort will go towards forming the embyros.

Yes, 'Pink Venus' is pretty slow growing and it seems to be a ground hugging plant year round. So once pollinated, how long until seeds begin forming?

Coincidentally, are there any red flytraps that grow as vigorously as the green varieties?

I'm not entirely sure. I haven't successfully pollinated or grown Dionaea from seed. I usually cut the flower stalks off because mine struggle to survive as it is. :p

There are probably plenty of resources on this though. You could try using the search function, I am sure there are a multitude of really helpful and awesome threads that have been made in the past.

If you want to make sure they don't self-pollinate, remove the anthers before the pollen ripens and is released. If you want to make sure some natural pollinator doesn't cross or self the plants hand pollinate and bag the flowers. The "yesterday's pollen on today's stigmas" rule seems to apply with Venus Fly Trap pollination.

Also, I've noticed that my 'Pink Venus' cultivar isn't flowering. I was hoping to cross those with my green flytraps. Are some varieties of flytraps just sterile? I have yet to see any kind of flower stalk emerge.
Pink Venus isn't sterile, but it is a conservative grower, as are most red varieities. Pink Venus is actually a very good seed producer and I gather quite a bit from my large pot of Pink Venus flytraps every year.
Yes, 'Pink Venus' is pretty slow growing and it seems to be a ground hugging plant year round. So once pollinated, how long until seeds begin forming?
It varies a bit depending on weather, but usually about 3 or 4 weeks after pollination the seed pod will split open revealing the shiny black seeds.
Coincidentally, are there any red flytraps that grow as vigorously as the green varieties?
The FTS Maroon Monster is the only red-leafed flytrap that I know of that grows about as vigorously as the most vigorous green-leafed flytraps.

The FTS Maroon Monster is the only red-leafed flytrap that I know of that grows about as vigorously as the most vigorous green-leafed flytraps.

And for that there, now we need you to post copious pics of Maroon Monster. :pics: :pics: :pics:

I just got my first batch of seeds :D. So now I need to propagate them. My plan is to fill an empty plastic pie container from the grocery store with a standard CP mix, sow the seeds, keep the lid closed for humidity, and let them germinate on a sunny windowsill. Will that work?

I've been able to successfully pollinate typical flytraps, but never have I had my 'Dentate Traps' plants produce seeds after numerous tries, both self an cross pollinating. By the way, contrary to what NaN said, it's today's pollen on yesterday's stigma, as pollen appears the second the flower opens while the stigma becomes receptive a day or two later.

Hi Roman. I usually just germinate mine right beside my other VFTs outdoors. The only difference is I leave the pot in a water tray until they germinate.

I would try germinating outdoors but the weather here has been fairy hot with hard rains. I don't want the seeds to get washed away.

I have crossed a few of my plants over the years; and since I desired only a particular cross at those times, I ensured that there was no unwanted cross-pollination by removing the flowers from those cultivars before they could ever pose a "problem." Bagging and hand-pollinating, as Warren suggested, is a good alternative; though I didn't have the luxury of time and my plants are in direct sunlight. Anything bagged becomes guacamole . . .

Back