What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well, my original idea for my bog was the exact same thing your talking about, the 4 foot under the bed storage bin. But, i planned on having 2, one sitting on top of the other(bottom bin with lid on) and having the bottom one be the reservoir. it still used these same fittings i showed you and allowed it to fill and drain at one level and if something were to happen to the pump, the upper bin would still hold about 2-3 inches of water.

i might be crazy on the whole reservoir thing but i really dislike having to keep filling 1 gallon jugs multiple times everyday.

~b

....maybe the bottom bin could even be buried to help keep the water temp?

well, my original idea for my bog was the exact same thing your talking about, the 4 foot under the bed storage bin. But, i planned on having 2, one sitting on top of the other(bottom bin with lid on) and having the bottom one be the reservoir. it still used these same fittings i showed you and allowed it to fill and drain at one level and if something were to happen to the pump, the upper bin would still hold about 2-3 inches of water.

i might be crazy on the whole reservoir thing but i really dislike having to keep filling 1 gallon jugs multiple times everyday.

~b

....maybe the bottom bin could even be buried to help keep the water temp?

I know kinda what you are talking about but I don't get how the upper bin would hold water for an emergency.
i do have two of those storage bins they are pricey like 8$ each, we get alot of rain here so drilling a hole at the ideal water level in my reservoir would be ideal so it doesn't over flow with rainwater.

So one bin stacked on top the other one the one beneath has the lid on it and holds the water and they are joined by the fitting? how do the plants get water in an emergency it would still drain through the fitting into the reservoir below unless you plugged it.

this is a good picture to show you the fitting.

http://www.webnetworkbilling.com/images/231.jpg

notice the left one has the extensions that allows for the opening to be higher up?

well, imagine having the inlet and outlet with the extensions set at the height of your preferred water table. both of these being mounted directly on the bottom of the potted bin(its a sealed bulkhead). The lid on the bottom would have to have holes drilled in the same place for the fitting sticking out on the bottom. a pump would go on the inlet and it just fills up the water high enough for it to drain thru the outlet. i guess i couldve said that it works like a skimmer. if the pump dies, it will not drain the water level past the drain level.

i used them same technique on mine except i used the plastic pond liner. no difference though.

~b

I'm trying google, sorry if its not a bit much to ask do you think you could sketch a diagram in paint or something?

nevermind I think I have got the idea I will make a quick diagram

exactomundo! i lined the entire bottom of my setup with sponge rock, which allows free drainage but low enough to keep about an inch of water running over the top of them, then the perlite/peat mis on top. i can just barely hear the steady flow of water draining. i set my drain and inlet on opposite sides.

in reality, you could expand that system by just adding another bog bin and just run another pump to the reservoir. mass production for your nursery? :)

~b

exactomundo! i lined the entire bottom of my setup with sponge rock, which allows free drainage but low enough to keep about an inch of water running over the top of them, then the perlite/peat mis on top. i can just barely hear the steady flow of water draining. i set my drain and inlet on opposite sides.

in reality, you could expand that system by just adding another bog bin and just run another pump to the reservoir. mass production for your nursery? :)

~b

well I might just stick to this for a privata collection I don't want to pamper my plants and have them be use to running water over their roots because most likely the person buying the plant will grow them on the tray method however I can use it for my mother plants if it helps them grow more robust and make more divisions then I can grow the divisions on the traditional tray method. Maybe I can fill this whole tray with cobra lilys for sale :)

I know this thread is kindof old, but is there any way a pump doesn't have to be used with this? Like a siphon or something?

Nope you need the pump. Gravity returns the water to the reservoir. Without the pump you would need to keep filling the reservoir and that would defeat the purpose.

I, too, am going to make a mini bog (17 gallon pot) and it has it's own reservior at the bottom, but I was thinking of making holes for the water to seep out, but exactly how would adding a PVC pipe with holes help drain out water? Sorry to ask the last question.

Yes you can get a small one for about 20 bucks. I am using the 40 or 60 dollar one for my large bog. The more water they pump the higher they go in price. Just check lowe's

Cap if it is already draining into the reservoir then all you need is the pump to pump it back up to the top to drip down again.

Cap if it is already draining into the reservoir then all you need is the pump to pump it back up to the top to drip down again.

Ok, wait, isn't the PVC pipe supposed to help it drain? Oh, and I meant 17 quarts, not gallons :p. Since I have bad experience in VFTs, and I'm going to put one in and the reason why is that I think I gave a bit too much water. But what I'm thinking about is to keep it moist-wet, but have the excess water escape, sooo, I was thinking of putting holes at the height I want it and have the water drain from there.

Wouldn't the water freeze in the winter? If I made one and left it out in the winter it would probably freeze completely solid. Is there any way to keep it from freezing?

Wouldn't the water freeze in the winter? If I made one and left it out in the winter it would probably freeze completely solid. Is there any way to keep it from freezing?

I would say you should bring it in or in the fridge.

Moving water doesn't freeze. Then again I dunno how cold it gets where your at. Here in GA I leave it running all year and leave it outside.

It get's around -10 to -20 F here. But I guess I won't have it running in the winter anyways, because it would be covered in snow.

then your asking it to freeze. I plan to move my sarrs into the garage when it is winter time and I am up in MN where it gets -20

Back