What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic environments for carnivorous plants and others.

I would like to show some invention I did for Cephalotus and other plants with similar requirements.
The material is clay fired at 1200 C° still very porous. It sucks up water at least 4 in.

Here at first my two Cephalotus setups, the first with my older plant which grew before in a smaller container of the same material. But it was too small for a prolonged growth.
attachment.php

attachment.php

the other one in form of an tepui
attachment.php

attachment.php

Really like the first one. Is the material porous?

Wow, that first one is going to look just stunning in a few years once everything fills in and the sphagnum gets weedy!

Very nice work on the pot!

Last edited:
:bigthumpup: Those are very nice, indeed. Please update with more photos when the plants get bigger and thanks for posting these. I, too, really like the top one.

Here are some other environments in progress, same material. Situation: low light, windowsill. The real beauty will come in the following season, outdoor.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Very cool indeed.Think I could do with been more inventive,and as you say they are going to look even better next season

Love the look of these types of pots/containers. I had the chance to buy some (20 years ago) and only picked up 3 and have regretted it ever since. Too bad you are overseas :) The US just doesn't seem interested in custom porous clay, just the ceramic stuff.

Its just a variation of ceramics ;) The customs wont know the difference (me too). Maybe you post some of the ceramic pots you bought so long ago?

I am sure there will be some people in USA which do stuff like this.

Last edited:
I did not stop at that. My friend has now one very special. He does not know what he should plant there.?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any advice would be welcome

Last edited:
Orchids along the top and up the trunk. Dews along the bottom. ;) Awesome tree, by the way.

Which dews like it really wet? Utricularia sandersonii and livida will be good.

Last edited:
Here are some more of my prototypes. They were planted this spring/summer. For the winter they stay indoor mostly frostfree.
Some others stay now in my patchwork bog to show their winter resistance.

attachment.php

I love these! Your friend's looks like a nice place to grow Tillandsia. Lucky friend!! I love your Ceph. pot!

This was my first attempt

In this small pot my first Cephalotus started.
After a year I repotted it in the steep one above.
now ist looks like this from the front

from the side

detail

At the moment I started a bigger one. It will certainly take another half a year till it is covered with my special moss Ctenidium molluscum. It usually grows on lime rocks, but adapted willingly to acid soil.
Until this one gives pictures worth seeing I might show you this project from last spring.

in detail

an overview of some of my special pots

The little tree trunks are made of the same material as the pots. Ceramic will last for some time. If it is some day contaminated with fungi or others I could just put them into boiling water. If watered by mistake with tap water I could get rid of the calciumcarbonate with vinegar acid.
Moss already to take over.

These are very impressive, thank you for sharing! Wow, how creative and naturalistic.

wow that really cool!

Back