What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus question

I was thinking about purchasing one of these plants for my collection.. but I wanted to find out if one would be able to thrive outside in southern CA. I seem to be able to grow dews, vfts, sarrs, and a ping pretty well.. but I wonder if a cephalotus would thrive like the rest

cephs require more of a different soil composition that drosera, sarrs, and pings. but their soil requirements are similar to vfts.

they need good amounts of sunlight.
shouldnt use the tray method unless you have a pretty tall pot.

I grew them successfully outside in Southern California for several years (in water trays), though did shelter them a bit during the height of Summer. Indirect sun is probably the best down there, especially when temperature soar and humidity falls . . .

I think they could handle the temps of being outside where I live, and I have mine on a window that's open all the time in the summers (closed in winter because I want my house warmer than the HL neps do!) in direct sun for about...6ish hours of the day from morning until noon and in a saucer of water. They've turned fiery-red :-D

This has been on a window sill since I got it this past winter. I will take it outside for the next several months and put it through a "proper dormancy", as recommended by John Hummer, himself. I have it in LFS.

Picture004-7.jpg

Back