What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph with coffee

I have long wondered if cephs would be compatible with coffee as a fertilizer (not trying to restart the old argument just something for fun). So I decided to give it a go with the few cephs I have. The first one has had a good increase in speed of growth and the second made a much larger pitcher. This could be due to a large number of factors as I did not run a control group or try to run a formal experiment, but it definitely didn't hurt them. Both were from cuttings about a year and 9 months ago if I remember correctly and might just be hitting their stride. Anyways, here are pics none the less which everyone likes!

Biggest pitcher about an inch
2015-02-28 01.07.14 by majaco10, on Flickr

newest pitcher about 1.5 inches
2015-02-28 01.07.08 by majaco10, on Flickr

Beautiful! I give my neps coffee about once a month, never seen a problem with it yet.

i doubt it would cause any adverse effects. peat tea is also a good booster for cephs as well.

Interesting! How diluted was the coffee?

Peat tea that sounds like something I could do do you just use the run off when you rinse it

I took a half a sandwich bags worth, sometimes more sometimes less. I threw it in a gallon of water and used. I didn't think through it much just something I figured Id try.

A heads up/potentially ill-conceived notion regarding peat tea:

I've thought of just loading up some pantyhose with peat and letting it float in my rain barrel. I figure the heat from the summer sun and extended "brewing" time would be a good way to infuse my water with peaty goodness. This way all of my plants benefit.

*shrugs*

I have to try coffee on my cephs.

Back