What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone give me care tips pls?(M. pudica)

Hello, I just bought Mimosa pudica a few days ago; I bought it because of it's unique ability to move leaves when touched. I'm sort of scared now, because I did internet research and found that they usually die after flowering. Sources also say they are hard to take care of. Thanks!

They're a weed here in Hawaii, in fact I just killed a bunch this weekend growing in my lawn.
They grow naturally at my house in clay soil (seemingly low in nitrogen since there's a lot of clover growing side by side)
Temps here are typically 70-80 degrees F. Never going below 65 or above 95.
I noticed they also grow in the sunniest areas of the yard.
They also don't get much water either.

I've never really noticed the mimosa here die after it flowers, but I haven't spent much time observing either. There always seems to be seeds after it flowers.

Anyway, I haven't personally grown it on purpose, but I figured the info would help ;)

Full sun, lots of water, and ignore it. I can't imagine many plants as easy to care for as this thing. Mind you, it makes a terrible houseplant and will probably go into decline if you bring it indoors and put it on a windowsill for the winter. Save seeds.

Thanks for the tips, guys! Divaskid, if the clover is Trifolium repens, there should be a lot of nitrogen in the field. That clover has the ability to absorb nitrogen form the air and replenish the soil that it's roots are in with nitrogen. It is purposely planted in SOD for that reason:)

I've kept mine potted in pure peat, full sun, lowland conditions & they have grown crazy ever since. It might be beneficial to pot the plant in an oversized pot; they grow quite fast and their roots are very weedy.

Thanks for the tips, guys! Divaskid, if the clover is Trifolium repens, there should be a lot of nitrogen in the field. That clover has the ability to absorb nitrogen form the air and replenish the soil that it's roots are in with nitrogen. It is purposely planted in SOD for that reason:)

While its true that clover is a nitrogen fixing plant and its used in many agricultural practices as such, as a weed its still often an indication that the soil is poor and low in nitrogen rather than high in nitrogen.
In fact it is actually because of clovers ability to fix nitrogen into the soil and survive where there is none, it's typically the first weed to appear in nitrogen depleted areas. ;)

BTW, if for some reason your plant does die, feel free to PM me and I'll send you some seeds. That way you won't need to worry too much about loosing the plant completely ;)

M. pudica is a nitrogen fixer as well. it is also a legume. horrible weed if not mowed. I have seen walls of it 3-4 feet tall....

I've kept mine potted in pure peat, full sun, lowland conditions & they have grown crazy ever since. It might be beneficial to pot the plant in an oversized pot; they grow quite fast and their roots are very weedy.
Thanks, that's good to know. The roots are popping out of the pot already and I'm planning to repot it soon:)

While its true that clover is a nitrogen fixing plant and its used in many agricultural practices as such, as a weed its still often an indication that the soil is poor and low in nitrogen rather than high in nitrogen.
In fact it is actually because of clovers ability to fix nitrogen into the soil and survive where there is none, it's typically the first weed to appear in nitrogen depleted areas. ;)

BTW, if for some reason your plant does die, feel free to PM me and I'll send you some seeds. That way you won't need to worry too much about loosing the plant completely ;)
Thanks a lot:D

M. pudica is a nitrogen fixer as well. it is also a legume. horrible weed if not mowed. I have seen walls of it 3-4 feet tall....
I never knew they do nitrogen fixation, no wonder sites say to us fertilizers with a high middle and last number...

Thanks everyone:)

You can keep this plant in pure peat? Its outstanding because this plant need nutrients from soil. Maybe you add some fertilizer?

I grow my mimosa pudica in a mix of peat and normal house plants potting soil. In the summer, its very easy. The plant will give you seeds without any action, but not all the time. After the flowers, the plant will decline a bit, and will be weaker in the winter. Just keep the soil a lil moist, and do not place the plant in a warm dry air flux. And try running an humidifier next to the mimosa.
I have my mimosa since 4 years, and they are little tree now.
Remember, even if your plant have no more leaves in january, keep adding water and humidity. The plant will restart in april, like dormant trees in canada.

My mimosa pudica thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?131272-Mimosa-pudica

:)

Last edited:
Back