What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brocchinia or Catopsis?

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
It appears I have to opportunity to pick myself up either a Catopsis beteroniana or Brocchiana reducta. They seem to want the same method of cultivation (full sun, moist, free-draining media, no frost), and I find both equally fascinating. But I'm having a hard time deciding on which to get! B. reducta or C. beteroniana?

Go ahead and show off your plants, too, as I need reasons. ;)

You can see pics and read an article about them here by Stewart McPherson.

Pics: Catopsis beteroniana vs. Brocchinia reducta

You gotta admit that a well-grown Brocchinia whups Catopsis' behind...

I suggest Brocchina because it actually produces enzymes to digest prey.

Here is mine:
newplants1.jpg

Although I must confess that it's a little boring. It hardly ever grows, and I throw a bug into the water once every month or two.

I suggest Brocchina because it actually produces enzymes to digest prey.

It does? I'd never heard that before.... where did you learn this info?

I think that your Brocchinia could use some more light, by the way.

It does? I'd never heard that before.... where did you learn this info?

I think that your Brocchinia could use some more light, by the way.

I think Barry Rice said that Brocchinia produces phosphate, so it is technically a carnivore.

And yes, mine does need more light. I just moved my Sarracenias, Dioneas, and Brocchinia to the south east side of my house where it should get more light.

I think Barry Rice said that Brocchinia produces phosphate, so it is technically a carnivore.

And yes, mine does need more light. I just moved my Sarracenias, Dioneas, and Brocchinia to the south east side of my house where it should get more light.

I checked, and it produces phosphatase, so it is a truly carnivorous plant.

Well, it seems to be

Brocchinia reducta1
Catopsis beteroniana 0

Don't forget the facts that Barry Rice mentioned:

1. Catopsis grows at a glacial pace - it loses leaves about as fast as it grows them.

2. Unlike Brocchinia, Catopsis only makes one pup after the mother plant after flowering, so pups may not help propagation.

3. Barry Rice himself became so bored with his Catopsis that he gave it away.

That really says something about the desirability of Catopsis...

Evidence: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5115.html

Get the Brocchinia. It sounds much more interesting.

BTW: According to Barry Rice, both of these species are epiphytes and could probably grow without soil.

Brocchinia reducta 2
Catopsis beteroniana 0

C'mon, Catopsis growers.... post some pics of your plants or make me believe that they are cooler than Brocchinia. :p

Wow! o.o

I may have to rethink this... or save up and get both. :-))

Wow! o.o

I may have to rethink this... or save up and get both. :-))

Yea.... of course that's what I was hinting at all along :lol:

But seriously, it would be cool to have pics of them growing in the same conditions (they do grow in the same conditions.... right?) to see which is faster growing, better looking, etc etc.

Catopsis is not carnivorous. It's just another bromeliad, while Brocchinia is actually carnivorous.

Catopsis is not carnivorous. It's just another bromeliad, while Brocchinia is actually carnivorous.

Actually, this is debatable. They are specialized to a certain degree to catch insects, and can benefit from them when bacteria break them down.

If your definition of carnivorous means that the plant produces enzymes to digest prey, Darlingtonia, Heliamphora, and Roridula are not carnivorous. They benefit from the prey they catch and are specialized to catch them. I have no problem considering that these plants are carnivorous.

Actually, this is debatable. They are specialized to a certain degree to catch insects, and can benefit from them when bacteria break them down.

If your definition of carnivorous means that the plant produces enzymes to digest prey, Darlingtonia, Heliamphora, and Roridula are not carnivorous. They benefit from the prey they catch and are specialized to catch them. I have no problem considering that these plants are carnivorous.

Heliamphora Tatei actually produces enzymes too.

In addition to Catopsis, I also have a few different species of Brocchinia...B. acuminata, B. hechtioides, B. tatei as well as two separate clones of B. reducta. I have read that B. reducta and B. hechtioides are considered truly carnivorous.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5064.html

Although the Brocchinia are nice additions to a CP or bromeliad collection, if I could only choose one, it would have to be Catopsis berteroniana.

dvg

Back