What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you keep us posted on which water tray you choose? I checked out the link you posted that sold the pots. I LOVE THEM. Am thinking about switching over. I really hate my water tray as the bottom of the tray is uneven, DUMB. I freaking hate it. I haven' found a tray that has even flat surface. I am currently using a table made out of plastic and it's sinking. So your table came just at the right time.

Yeah sure, I'll update this thread with whatever I end up doing.

The pots are very nice, but they are on the expensive side. I try not to think about how much it cost to switch everything over to them. Plastic pots will be vastly cheaper, but they're just that, plastic pots. Since they are also biodegradable, they won't last forever, supposedly they're good for 5 years outside. Hopefully their degradation doesn't negatively effect my plants, time will tell.

To help keep things organized, I have moved the taxonomic/nomenclature discussion to its own thread --> here.

Last edited:
That link takes me to a "no thread specified" error.

Last edited:
I think I've repaired it. Please check again. Thanks.

Well, it's mid February and every plant is breaking out of dormancy now. Pretty much to be expected with our 60-70 degree weather and the fact that the plants are getting a few more hours of direct sunlight in their new location. I was going to wait to post an update until tomorrow, but oh well. Tomorrow I should be receiving a division of S. 'Dana's Delight' and some D. muscipula 'Dente'.

Since I last posted I received a large division of S. 'Judith Hindle' and a plug of U. sandersonii. You can see the Hindle division in the back row, 4th from the right. Can't wait to see what that plant has in store!

Many of these plants I received in the last few months while they were dormant, so I have yet to see them in full growth. It's going to be an exciting year.

My D. 'Marston Dragon' is unfurling what looks like its first multi-forked leaf, very excited about that.

And it's flowering as well.

Two flowers and a pitcher growing on the S. leucophylla "burgundy" x minor v. okefenokeensis (pink clone).

Fresh growth on the S. x moorei 08 (Jay Lechtman) (Wilkerson's Bog), and S. x moorei 06A (Jay Lechtman) (Wilkerson's Bog).

S. alata v. nigrapurpurea flower should be opening in the next week or two I suspect.

And finally, lots of new growth showing up in my community pot of S. flava v. rugelii x v. maxima, S. leucophylla, S. minor, S. alata v. nigrapurpurea, and S. x readei.

Last edited:
Pitchers are opening up, flowers abound, and growth is plentiful. Good times are ahead.

Two S. x moorei from the Wilkerson's bog courtesy of Jay Lechtman. S. x moorei 08 and 06A.

S. leucophylla "burgundy" x minor var. okefenokeensis (pink clone) (Mike Wang).

S. minor var. minor.

S. 'Judith Hindle' flowers.

S. flava var. rugelii x var. maxima.

S. flava var. cuprea.

20+ flowers from my large S. x readei (SFSU greenhouse).

D. omissa x pulchella carpet of death.

D. burmanii 'Pilliga Red' seedlings.

A new acquisition, D. capensis 'albino'. Off to the right is another new plant, D. filiformis var. filiformis "Carolina Giant."

And my first ping, a P. 'Pirouette'.

Last edited:
Lookin good! I really like your S. x moorei :D

Interesting, I knew there was a "Florida Giant" filiformis, but not a Carolina version..... though I was aware of a "Carolina Giant" intermedia...
I really like the first couple moorei, but always been a sucker for the big hybrids. Also, 'Pilliga Red' is a cultivar of burmannii, has been for some time, not just a locality.

Lookin good! I really like your S. x moorei :D

Thanks, this is my first time seeing them in action since I received them last fall. I'm amazed at how wide the mouths of the traps are as well as the coloration.

Interesting, I knew there was a "Florida Giant" filiformis, but not a Carolina version..... though I was aware of a "Carolina Giant" intermedia...
I really like the first couple moorei, but always been a sucker for the big hybrids. Also, 'Pilliga Red' is a cultivar of burmannii, has been for some time, not just a locality.

I had never heard of a Carolina Giant either, this is what their website says "This clone is very vigorous, although not quite so vigorous as the giant plants from Florida." I don't see a lot of other info on it though.

Fixed the 'Pilliga Red' name, thanks hcarlton.

My venus fly trap was looking quite cramped in its pot, I had wanted to divide it earlier in the year but didn't get around to it until this weekend. This was my first time dividing a VFT and I expected I would get maybe 4 plants out of it, I ended up getting 20. :0o:

I had purchased one new pot dedicated to the VFTs, but it was simply not enough room.

I put 6 in the pot the plant was in originally and put 4 of the larger divisions in my Sarracenia community pot.

VFTs everywhere now!

I also put the D. filiformis var. filiformis "Carolina Giant" and D. capensis 'Albino' in new pots.

The S. flava var. cuprea is starting to color up nicely.

Nice contrast between these two flowers.

Speaking of contrast, the lid on the S. x moorei 08 is looking fantastic!

S. leucophylla.

Simply in love with the pink clone. Such amazing color!

The whole collection.

Last edited:
Back