What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went out of town for 3 weeks and got someone to look after my plants. After coming back, about 20% of my collection is dead, and the rest is SO FRIGGIN DESSICATED that I am forced to repot every single plant I have. I'm talking total dryout, to where the peat is like sand again and can't get wet without being stirred.

confirmed casualties: gracilis black x mirabilis winged, gracilis black, a mystery seedling, some of my weaker seedlings...which would've happened anyway
about a 10% chance of making it: viking (really mad about this), effulgent koto, emotional koto, a few others
slightly effected: eymae x stenophylla x lowii, "tomoriana" clone 2, insignis seedlings, my "mutant" splendiana x rokko seedling that is growing like gangbusters, bical (surprise!), thorelii giant tiger
not at all effected: truncatas, sanguinea orange

UGH! I'm prettttttttttttttttttttty mad.

In other news, I got my enclosure more or less finished. Pics tomorrow once I get the shelf fit in and the rest of the stuff in place. I'm going to have to photoshop out the plants though, because they all look like complete crapola (unfortunately, I'm not exaggerating)

The good thing is though, my more rare/expensiveish stuff is ok and will def pull through. Dyeriana, boschiana, northiana, and clipeata

Sorry to hear this PK, didnt this happen to you before when you left to go to germany?

Yeah it did, but the opposite. When I was in Germany said individual overwatered. This time, I think in 3 weeks they probably watered once lol. Except I'm not lol-ing...

Sorry to hear that. I have a really hard time trusting people to take care of my stuff when I leave. I guess this just re enforces my thoughts as to why. It is hard to find someone that you can really trust to take care of your plants while you are away. Really sorry to hear. I hope more pulls through for you than you think!

It always sucks to hear about Nep losses :(. Esp. a Globosa... man that hurts. I hope your other plants bounce back quickly. Hopefully since they're lowlanders they will?

THat really sucks man! Did the person give you any reason for doing that? I mean comeon.... its like once they agree that they will watch the plants.....after making a commitment...Why back out on it? well! Look ahead dude....your new enclousure is done and it will be filled up in no time. ;)

This probably wouldnt be practical for phission, since he has a ton of plants!
but if you have a relatively small collection, you can try this trick for vacation.

Bag up your plants..seal them up in clear plastic bags..
this way, all the water in the pot stays in a "closed system" and it cant evaporate out into the air, because the air inside the bag stays saturated..
the pots cant totally dry out..

I have done this with Bonsai and CPs for a 2-week vacation..it worked!
you have to move the plants so they get less light, because too much direct sunlight will cause the plants inside the bags to overheat..I brought my bonsai and CPs indoors and sat them in the middle of the kitchen floor, in their plastic bags..they got some light from a window, but it wasnt too intense.

yes, its not ideal for the plants..the lowered light might make them unhappy..
but less light for a week or two + not drying out is much better than than the alternative..
which is bone-dry and totally dead plants when you get home..

just something to consider..

Scot

I to have had this same problem. Unfortunately it is hard to find someone with enough cultivating experience to watch your plants for a week or two. Most of the time you can only find a teenager to do it and they have more important things on thier minds. That is why I have not gone on any long vacations ( more than 2 days) for the last 2 years. I am rebuilding my collection from almost total loss from Hurricane Ivan. I don't want to lose any of these new plants.

Poor guy. If my N. Viking seeds ever germinate, EVER being the key word, I'll just give you one. Sorry about your loss. You need to fire your waterer, or maybe just have them follow you around for a week so they can get a sense of what needs to be done.

Sorry to hear this. It sucks when someone commits to doing something and then doesn't follow through. So, what was his/her side of the story? Did you lay the smack down?

That just, is just, that stings,I have like al my neps in my 55 with a bubbler bottle so the water level is like 1/8 inch in the tank so I hope everything is okay since I have been gone for 2 weeks. Phission that is just plain horrible though,my mom even did a good job while I was gone working for 3 weeks.
Maybe if your rigged up a drip system ? Or ro water misters ?

Scot,
I think I might try that when I'm going to be home, just to see how long and to what extent it works in my conditions. I have my new chamber set up with a humidifier in it, so with the air being humid, less water should be drawn out of the pots, etc as well. If I leave for a weekend or so, I can assure you I'll be doing that, especially since I grow mostly lowlanders that don't mind it wet.

Thanks for the consolation guys...I'm hoping everything picks up. I had the viking in a 6" pot that I could pick up by the plant. The roots were so extremely entensive, and there were some pretty fat tubers in there popping up through the soil in places as well. This sort of gives me hope if the plant is at all alive, since it certainly had enough energy to create such a massive root structure

Vraev,
She said she watered them frequently....but OBVIOUSLY NOT. I don't know why they dried out like that...she must've not come over at all and done anything. I mean...I've not watered for 6-7 days before, and things are at least still moist underneath. I get to relax today and work on my enclosure and the new tank I got too. I need to get all that stuff set up with lights and whathaveyou.

I know what that's like! Sorry about that man.

I was about to say "Maybe you should have used more LFS?" but that would be in bad taste hehe.

Back