What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids

what could i use to get rid of aphids on sundew, i thought of getting some lady bugs, but then i think to my self will they do the job of eating or will they get eatin them selves. not sure what other things i can do to my cp as most sprays reek havoc on them. maybe some of you more seasoned cp'ers got ideas. if they were like the other plants i would spray them with neem oil

Orthene is used quite often. Use water soluble versions of pesticides as the pre-mixed (especially aerosol can) sprays often have vehicles that are harmful to CPs.

If your plants are in a terrarium or tank you could try placing a flea collar around the pot of the infested plants, better yet quarantine the plant in a plastic bag with a flea collar.

Or if you have the time on your hands you could use some fine tweezers, a spray bottle (water) and a magnifying glass and manually remove the aphids.

Ladybugs will just wind up feeding your CPs.

The easiest and cheapest and 100 % effective method for me has been to simply place the pot in a larger vessel and overfill it with water. The aphids drown and die within a couple days and the plants will look like "drowned rats" for the following week, but they recover. I have used this method with D. capensis, spatulata, and adelae.

i use the aerosal can of Ortho Orthenex...hasnt harmed my plants in any way shape or form....but i only do it lightly. not a heavy spray

wonder does any one use neem oil or is it toxic to cp?

neem is what i treat all my other non cp plants with.

Neem oil is fine for most CPs, im not sure about Drosera though. never tried it. just try to avoid the soap

you referring to safer's insecticidal soap, i learned the hard way. but if you refer to the dish soap used for neem as emulsifier then i would like the heads up cause that experience i had was bad.

i mean, avoid using any soap whatsoever lol....soap = bad.

Back