What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone grow N. 'Lady Pauline'?

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Just wondering if anyone grow this lady and if so does it tolerate lowland conditions? I'm in SC and can get up to 100+. I currently don't have a highland setup. So was curious if it could be done without harming the plant. It is kinda pricey and would hate to buy something I could not propperly care for. Thanks.

Just sold mine.. but it was an easy grow, in HL conditions. Can't imagine it would do very well anywhere else.

Seems likeyour temps might be too high for N. 'Lady Pauline' Temperatures into 100's even for a day or so might be too much for it, I grow mine as a windowsill plant, but in highland conditions, the highest it gets is 25C or 77F.

Might want to stick lowland neps such as N. reinwardtiana (there is also a HL version), N. ampullaria, N. gracilis, N. sumatrana (quite colourful and supposedly easy)... and more.

Here's mine

DSC02579.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

When i got it
DSC01710.jpg

Wow. Love it. I'm sticking with lowland ATM as I have to grow outside or in a greenhouse. I have young kids and a wife that may like the plants but not so much in the house. Thanks for the input. If I had more light inside may be an option but I know it is not bright enough. Thanks again guys.

I tried to grow mine outside for a while and it did okay at first but couldn't handle the heat in the end and by the time I moved it in it was too late. It's the only nep I have lost to date.

Wow I wish I could say the same for me. I have killed a few. Just like orchids. Maybe it would be because i listened to a moron at one time who told me straight peat was ok to plant neps in. Big mistake......

I think Lady Pauline is a hardy hybrid. The maxima in it allows it to grow in just about every condition. The occasional 100 shouldn't phase it, but it does appreciate cool nights. Give it a shot. If it doesn't like your conditions, you won't be out too much $$$ if it doesn't do well for you. This is the kind of nep that you grow for the lowers.

I grow mine in a the typical nep mix of peat, perlite and maybe a little long fibered sphagnum, charcoal lava rock and orchid bark.

I grow Lady Pauline outside here in Hawaii and it has been an easy grower for me. Our temps routinely get up in the mid to upper 80s, but not much higher than that. I really don't know how it would hold up to your higher temps....

I have been growing this plant indoors for almost 4 yrs now, and agree it is a very easy grower, and I don't have highland temps in the least. Its grow temp is whatever is on the termostat, so it never gets too hot. It just moved into the vining stage now with two basals. It doesn't require a ton of light, but the pitchers wont color up withou some.

Seems likeyour temps might be too high for N. 'Lady Pauline' Temperatures into 100's even for a day or so might be too much for it

I think this is a bit of a misconception. I have plenty of ultra highlanders (hamata, villosa, macrophylla) that do just fine seeing daytime highs of over 100 during the summer.

The caveat is they are misted hourly (keeps the RH high and provides some evaporative cooling,) and always get nighttime drops into the 50s.

In my experience, if you can meet these requirements, daytime highs aren't really a factor at all until they get really high.

I think this is a bit of a misconception. I have plenty of ultra highlanders (hamata, villosa, macrophylla) that do just fine seeing daytime highs of over 100 during the summer.

The caveat is they are misted hourly (keeps the RH high and provides some evaporative cooling,) and always get nighttime drops into the 50s.

In my experience, if you can meet these requirements, daytime highs aren't really a factor at all until they get really high.

That is why I said it might be too much. I am not surprised macrphylla, or hamata do fine with warmer temps, as they are not Ultrahighlanders... Villosa is ultrahighland, but it has a wider range than most, making it more tolerant of temps.

That is why I said it might be too much. I am not surprised macrphylla, or hamata do fine with warmer temps, as they are not Ultrahighlanders... Villosa is ultrahighland, but it has a wider range than most, making it more tolerant of temps.

Not to digress too far from the original point that 100F isn't going to kill anything (esp. a maxima hybrid) as long as there is humidity and the nights are cool, but macrophylla is absolutely an ultrahighlander, as is hamata (depending on the locale.)

Villosa, in my experience, is easily one of the most temperature sensitive highlanders there is (especially as it matures.) I think Jeff Shafer had a great article about this in the CPN a looong time ago that made me understand why I could never keep them around very long.

Also growing in the same 100 degree conditions are lots of diatas, singalana, rajah, jacquelineae, densiflora, and probably some assorted other chilly plants.

To the OP: If you can provide a more detailed description of your growing conditions (daily/seasonal temperature fluctuations, humidity, hours and intensity of sunlight, etc.) it would be easier to recommend plants.

Back