What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone actually seen a sarracenia trap a fly?

I did today while I was pruning and it is hilarious.......I seen a green bottlefly on the edge and I was willing it to fall in and it was there one sec and gone the next. the fly tried and tried to get out bouncing back and forth against the pitcher and finally did a 'hail mary' shot nearly straight up at full speed.......right into the lid which deflected the fly straight into the pitcher and that was the last I seen of it......it was comical.

I have, with all sorts of insects. I saved a honey bee once, only to watch her fly right back in. Didn't even stop at the lip, she just flew right in.

Caught on video! S. minor traps a wasp:
Its amazing to see how much risk he takes by going all the way into the mouth with just a foothold on the rim, but at the very end the plant gets its reward :-O

I'm pretty sure my Sarr has never caught anything. Mine only ever has one or two pitchers opened up enough to trap something, the rest stay closed for some reason.

Nice video lol
Do a sarra NEED insects? I grow all my sarra indoors, and of course i have no insect inside my appartment. So i feed every plants but my sarra dana delight, psittacina and minor cannot be feeded manually. It will be a problem ? For now, all my sarrs are colorfull and thrive, but maybe the plants will thrive a lot more with preys?

Sarracenia will grow just fine without insects but like any carnivorous plant will do better with food.......don't take it from me but I have heard sarracenia can be root fertilized. I grow mine outside so I do not personally do it but maybe you can check on it if you feel inclined to do so.

Yeah ill check about it, thanks for the info.

Mine has exploded into nearly filling a 4" pot without being fed or getting much if any extra food. I don't think they need it. Kinda like a cephalotus. But will likely be more vigorous if they do eat.

unfortunately I can't say since I do not track how much prey one gets vs another but I am inclined to agree. They probably do not need to feed often to have improved growth.......once a week id say as far as bugs anyway. not sure about the dosage of osmocote pellets tho.

Back