What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nasc1kg5.png

The fourth annual NASC benefit auction will be held here on Terraforums on June 9th through 23rd, 2007!!!

This new and improved auction is a great way for you as a carnivorous plant grower to:

A) Support CP conservation efforts
B) Free up some of that crowded growing space and
C) Bid on and win carnivorous plants and other goodies!

What? Another auction?

The North American Sarracenia Conservancy has been holding auctions annually in the late spring/early summer; this is fourth such auction. So far, auctions have been the primary way for the NASC to fund its startup and operational costs. A big hearty THANK YOU to all of you who have participated in making past auctions a success - our work would be impossible without you.

Which leads us to our next question...

So what's this auction going to benefit anyway?

For those of you completely unfamiliar with the NASC, we are a grassroots organization dedicated to preserving the genetic diversity of North American pitcher plants through conservation and cultivation. Check out our newsletter for more details of how we operate.

For those of you who ARE familiar with the NASC but might have missed it, please check out the recent post for an overview of what has been accomplished thus far.

The exciting thing is that most of the structure of the organization is now in place, so we can now concentrate on directly fulfilling our mission! This is going to be a very exciting year for the organization, enlisting growers, surveying new populations, setting up a seedbank, and working with landowners to preserve remaining pitcher plant populations.

What about ________? (fill in a problem that occurred in previous years)

This year we have worked hard to improve the auction rules to protect all parties involved, especially the bidders. Things like a set closing time and shipping deadlines have been to added to make things run more smoothly. The rules page will be up made available shortly when the new auction forum is up.

Okay, so what can I do to help?

The auction is always a group effort. Here are some things you can do before the bidding starts:

1.) Set aside plants and other stuff to put up for auction in June. The auction is nothing without generous donations of plants and other items from generous people like you! Have some plants that need to be divided? Can't bear to throw away that old Beatles record? Here's your chance to spread the wealth while supporting conservation.
2.) Spread the word. Feel free to use the banner ad on top of this page on your website.

I'm looking forward to another great auction!! If you have any questions, feel free to post them here. :)

Noah Elhardt
Director of PR and Education
North American Sarracenia Conservancy
www.nasarracenia.org

I can't wait until the auction, I have some one of a kind items to donate. I just can't wait. Even better than when I was going to feed the skink to the kingsnake.

:suspect:

Remember Ozzy, the feds are always watching. Always.

OH yeah, I may have to rethink my auctions.

Awesome! I was wondering if there was going to be an auction this year. Can't wait!

I need to do some poking around to see what I have. :)

woo hoo! this year ill be able to contribute in 2 ways and not just 1!!

Do we have ask god what we can put up or not? We don't want it to make money away from his store.

JMurphy97- Why do you need to bring this public? You need to follow the rules and you won't get PMs from me... I know you hate me (you said so) and that doesn't matter. Follow the rules and you'll be okay. These type of stupid questions in open forum won't get you anywhere.... Follow the rules or go away. Bottom line. There is no need for me to deal with you monthly (which it has been lately) about why you should follow the rules.

On topic: As everyone here (except you apparently) knows they can offer anything they would like to get rid of in the NASC auction. Now keep your "problems" with me and the rules in private.
Andrew

Do we have ask god what we can put up or not? We don't want it to make money away from his store.

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. I doubt you'll get any of the cheap laughs you were trying to get judging by the community support for both Andrew and the NASC.

Anyways, I am really excited about this auction. I joined a while after last years and would occasionally scroll through the items that were auctioned off being so jealous. Of course, I'm not sure if I'll have the money for some of the stuff, but it will still be fun getting everyone jumping for stuff.

xvart.

This auction is to benefit a non-profit organization which will be conserving/protecting our endangered Sarracenia. Andrew is following in the footsteps of the previous owner by GENEROUSLY GIVING of his time and forum space to assist us with this auction. I, for one, am extremely appreciative. That is very supportive of NASC.

Being a benefit to raise money for conservation, a person can offer anything they wish to as long as it follows the auction rules which means its legal to offer.

JMurphy, if you have some personal beef, take it off this topic. This topic has nothing to do with TerraForums or FlytrapShop.com or Andrew. Why would you want to spoil something that is for a good cause? :lac: Shame on you!

Thankfully the vast majority of the membership here follows the rules, even if they might want them to be different on some issues. They weigh the benefits of these forums against the negatives and it appears the benefits of this wonderful community are enough to keep them happy.

Thank you to all who have made POSTIVE comments. :D

anything they would like to get rid of in the NASC auction

Uh...how about rewording that to "anything they would like to offer as a donation to NASC."

Last edited:
word it however you want :p When I saw the post by him... I did a quick reply. I've had lots of PMs back and forth with this guy lately. I'll likely be putting up a pretty nice D. falconeri :) That's something I'm "willing to donate" but not really something I "would like to get rid of." haha

That's something I'm "willing to donate" but not really something I "would like to get rid of." haha

lol Hey...that works for me. Hmmmmm...I'd like that falconeri! :drool:

I might part with an N. rajah....maybeeeee.

I can offer up those silver coated sarracenia. I'll have to ask my mom first since they are hers (but they were my plants she used!) I guess whoever buys them could put a pin on the back or make a pendant or some sort of ornament.

I'm not sure if I'll have the money for some of the stuff, but it will still be fun getting everyone jumping for stuff.

Always fun to see some of the high rollers and new/rare plants. I have always saved up money for the auction a LONG time in advance. lol

Oooooooh, auction time again! Hmmm. what should my big-ticket item be? I'll have several neps available, lots of rare drosera, maybe some nep seeds of entirely new hybrids - oooh, this is going to be fun!!!

Max

Is there going to be the same bid increment rule this year as last year?

That rule is the primary reason I refused to participate in last years auction and if it is still in place I will not participate this year either.

Steve

Why? What would keep people from 5 cents higher than the previous bid?

Because this is a CHARITY auction. For someone to tell me that my 1 dollar increase on an 11 dollar bid is "not enough" is a slap in the face. That kind of greed mindset is not what I think of when I think of charity.

Steve

Oh hey I never thought of it like that. I do see your point now. I'm neutral but I do see what you are saying :)

I'm Sweden :)

Back