What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 mimosa pudica seeds "The Sensitive Plant"

I have 20 Mimosa Pudica seeds offered in a giveaway. This is a non-carniverous plant. It is however a very fun,easy, and interesting plant to grow. The leaves retract if they are touched. But then they recover to full in a short time. It has a beautiful pink flower that reminds me of a fiber optic lamp. Kids love this plant and touching it does not harm or kill it. List your name if you are interested in participating in this giveaway drawing. Random winner chosen in a week.

1. HeliamWalnut Thanks Dude!
2. Zath - Definitely interested! Been wanting to grow these for a couple years. :D

Last edited:
1. HeliamWalnut Thanks Dude!
2. Zath - Definitely interested! Been wanting to grow these for a couple years.
3. Swagalotus- Always wanted to give them a try

Okay since there are only 3 people you are all winners. 10 seeds each..when I planted 30 I got 25 plants. So germination rate is good. Send me a SASE. PM me for my address.

Remember that this plant is invasive in some states~
Keep it in the collection if possible

Viking, HAve you ever germinated this plant personally?

Yes these seeds were just collected from my own plants. I bought 30 seeds and had 27 successfully germinate. I gave plants to all my neighbors. I kept 3 for myself. The best way to get great germination rates with these seeds is to use a 5 to 1 hot water (5 parts almost boiling water to 1 part cold water) soak the seeds until the water is cooled. Then plant the seeds. Mine sprouted within a week and grew very well. The growing medium that I used was peat/silica sand/perlite. Similar to a vft.
Here is a grow guide
How to Grow and Care for the Sensitive Plant in Containers

Ive never heard the hot water method, thats really interesting.

Ive tried germinating these plants for many years and only been successful once..
(This entails sowing close to 10 seeds in a pot, giving up after a year, then casting the pot under
My pine tree for the next 3 years, only to later discover said pot began to germinate after 3 years sitting!)

The outer seed coat is very hard that is why you can put them in very hot almost boiling water. These directions were right in the package of seeds that I purchased. So that's what I did. I have also heard you can nick a corner of the seed coat to allow moisture to penetrate the seed. Keeping them on a seedling heat mat or heating pad helps too.

I have like 100 mimosa seeds i have no issue germinating them the only issue i seem to have is keeping them alive after a few months/years.

yeah, I germinated some from seeds, grew for about a year or two, then they just died.

From what I understand, they're annuals. I don't think you'd have much luck keeping them alive for more than 2 years, with evident decline during the second year.

This leads me to a question though. Are the plants reliably self-fertile, or do you need multiple plants in order to get seed?

Okay since there are only 3 people you are all winners. 10 seeds each..when I planted 30 I got 25 plants. So germination rate is good. Send me a SASE. PM me for my address.

Thanks so much! Will pm right now!

From what I understand, they're annuals. I don't think you'd have much luck keeping them alive for more than 2 years, with evident decline during the second year.

This leads me to a question though. Are the plants reliably self-fertile, or do you need multiple plants in order to get seed?
I don't know about that, there's a plant that's older than that in the university's greenhouse here

Back