What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

<span style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 1.7em;">C</span>arnivorous plants are fascinating. My own interest centers around Venus Flytraps, which I have been fascinated by since I was a kid (I'm 54 now) when I ordered one, it arrived about 7 weeks later stressed and exhausted, leggy and pale, and died a few weeks later.

I love them, and they love me, growing very well even in this high altitude (4000 feet) semi-desert region of eastern New Mexico, US.

VFT varieties I currently grow
<ul>
[*]typical
[*]Green Dragon (purchased from petflytrap.com)
smile.gif

[*]Clayton's Red Sunset
[*]Blood Red Traps
[*]Dente (purchased from Peter D'Amato) I thought this variety would have a hard time catching bugs because of the very short cilia. I was wrong!
[*]Red Piranha (purchased from Tony Paroubek)
[*]Banded, sometimes aka "Red Stripe" (this is an impressive form)
[*]Fine Tooth x Red
[*]Fang
[*]Royal Red (purchased from Tony Paroubek--beautiful plants)
[*]Low Giant (this one looks very promising)
[*]Vigorous (I think the name of this variety should be "Voracious Monster." The traps are routinely over 1.5" and the plant is truly "vigorous."
smile.gif

[*]Triffid Traps (a beautiful all-green variety with large traps)
[*]Big Mouth (aptly named, but also with beautiful, unique red-purple colorations--when the plant is hungry and cares to expend the extra effort to attract bugs!)
smile_m_32.gif

[/list]

Do I have a variety you are interested in? I trade extras when I divide and repot the VFTs, and sometimes I give a sample or two of a particular variety with no strings attached and nothing required in trade, to someone who really wants a particular variety, if they wait until I divide and repot them.

Best wishes,

xscd/Steve
Portales, New Mexico US

Back