What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing a paper on carnivores...

... specifically, the poaching of carnivorous plants. We were instructed to pick a controversial topic and research it and provide an unbiased, neutral presentation of both sides. Of course, I had to make things difficult on myself and make sure I involved carnivorous plants. First thing that came to mind was conservation. So, here I am.

I chose to look into the poaching of endangered species and analyze its effects on the overall numbers of the species, both wild and in cultivation; the idea specifically be centralized around whether or not the taking of protected plants from the wild is ultimately detrimental, beneficial, or has no effect on the wild populations of said plants. It probably won't be easy for me to write this without bias, but it is what it is. Keeping in mind that I'm looking specifically at the poaching of plants for commercial or private sale, the idea that it could be beneficial, of course, relies on the idea that the plant could thrive in cultivation, throughout the hobby for example, and eventually be numerous enough that it could be reintroduced rather successfully.

For the paper, I am to use at least 10 sources. None of them are required to be scholarly or peer-reviewed, but of course those typically do provide the most specific and reliable information. The sources can be, theoretically, from anywhere, but the instructor has specified that they at least be sources you feel confident in. For example, I will not be using ask.com for my research, LOL. Finding these sources, however, is proving more difficult than I initially expected, so I come to the only place I trust can help.

Does anyone happen to know of any sources I might be able to use for this paper? It, of course, doesn't need to be pertain exactly to my specific research. I'm even looking into using sources from plants outside the carnivorous realm since there is much more information available for them: orchids, for example. At this point, anything helps.

Thanks so much in advance to anyone that might be able to help.

Are you an ICPS member? Maybe looking through back issues of CPN might be a good place to start.

scholar.google.com lets you search through thousands and thousands of academic journals. If you do a search on your school server, it will let you read articles from journals that your school has a subscription to.

I am a member of the ICPS, yeah. That's a good idea.

Thanks!

Back