What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

would the real H. nutans please stand up

In Stewart McPherson's book "Pitcher Plants of the Americas" he make the statement that the overwhelming majority of H. nutans in cultivation are not H. nutans.

He says that in fact they are actually either hybrids with H. glabra or artificial crossbreeds produced by horticulturists.

So, my question is... can someone post comparison pics of the imposter and the real thing for comparison?

What are the key features to look for?

While we are at it.... are the german clones (cough.. cough) the real McCoy? (I would think so, but the question still needs asked)

TIA,
Av

I am pretty sure that the German's clones are the real thing

Pyro,

I would think the same thing... I mean my goodness talk about being close to the source

Would the give away be as simple as the nectar spoon?.... surely it can't be that obvious

Av

edit: I have also heard that the majority of H. chimantensis in the states are of questionable pedigree, pretty much due to one certain source... but afaik that is still just speculation

Last edited:
I am not sure what the defining characteristic is. I'll see what I can learn though.

Had not heard that about chimantensis but I would assume that the German was the main source for those in the US as well...

the bogus source mentioned was domestic...

Thanks in advance Pyro :hail:
Av

No worries

I'm not sure if these are actually the same, but I was searching through pictures and I found thiese two different from all the others I saw:

heliamp.JPG

HNUTANS.JPG

And these were all the same as the others:

heliamphora.jpg

Hopes this helps ;).

Okay, here is what I have learned:

The Kukenan ones are the real thing (and the German has all his labeled by location).

The Tramen may or may not be a different species, this is under investigation.

The Yuruani is also not fully clear but is being looked into.

There was an idea once, that the "Giant" ones were not thre species bu something else. When Stewart and the German visited a H. glabra site where H. nutans was also growing they found plants closely resembling the "Giant" ones which were quite obviously hybrids between H. glabra and nutans. To them that more or less confirmed the idea that the "Giant" was a hybrid.

Hope that helps clear it up some.

That all makes sense, I think I read about the last example somewhere in McPherson's book... I believe it was in the heli hybrid section. IIRC the giant was found half way up the Tepui (going by memory)

To me neither of the last two pics cape posted looks like Kukenam Tepui variant. Going by the German's pics, it has a rather distinct form and nectar spoon.

Thanks pyro,
Butch

Back