What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to believe?

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
I bought a hygrometer with my first 10 gallon terrarium, a Critterz, at the pet shop for $6. Today I found a Springfield digital thermometer/hygrometer with high/low readout at WalMart for $6.50, but since the readings were so differant, while I was at Lowes this evening, I bought a cheap, $3.50, combo. I put all three side by side in my house and then in a container with wet paper towels heated on my terrarium light hood to raise humidity levels. Last I put them outside.
The hygrometers compare as follows:
  1. Combo Digital Critterz Temp
  2. 37% 30% 47% 75F
  3. 62% 48% 62%
  4. 75% 58% 70% 80F
  5. 98% 72% 83% walls and lid fogged up
  6. 95% 75% 85% 87F
  7. 84% 83% 72% 92F removed from heat
  8. 108% 68% 80% 85F
  9. 110% 75% 87% 79F picture taken
  10. 110% 84% 94% 75F 15 min later
  11. 36% 43% 53% 44F
This last set of readings is from outside. The Weather Channel says the humidity at the airport is 29% and 48F while at this local home station, (much closer to my house) it's reporting 44% and 38F.

Soooo, which hygrometer do I believe? The round is the Critterz, square is the digital and the combo...is long, LOL!

DSCI0250.JPG

Isn't it impossible to get higher than 100%?

xvart.

I'd throw out the big white one. The other two seem to be relatively close (~15% difference).

xvart.

good thing i dont have a thermometer on my tank haha this is hillarious.

good thing i dont have a thermometer on my tank haha this is hillarious.

Yeah, I'm about raedy to pitch all 3 of them. The round Kritterz never gets below 50%, the digital I can't get over 85% and the long thermometer/hygrometer...110%?, come on. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to them either. I mean if they all rose and declined at say 10% humidity differant, I could see it, but look at the differance between #7 and #8. Go figure :crazy:

Heres a easy way to figure out the actual difference. Put the hygrometer in a plastic bag with a salt solution. make sure there is enough salt so that not all of it dissolves. (about a 1/4 cup salt to 1 cup water) Let it sit over night. The reading should be 75%. Then subtract it every time you read it or use a screwdriver to fix it. (DO NOT get the salt water on the hygrometer!)

I would suggest throwing them all away and not even worrying about the humidity!
in an enclosed terrarium, it will always be "high enough"..
thats all you need to know! ;)

Scot

Back