What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which genera are the slowest to recover?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Out of the major CP plants, including VFT's, Sundews, Butterworts, Bladderworts, Asian Pitcher Plants, and American Pitcher Plants, which characteristically takes the longest to recover from shipping shock or a radical change in its environment? And which bounce back the quickest?

In my opinion, it's a tossup between Neoenthes & Utricularia for slowest to recover and Pinguicula for the fastest to recover.

my longest? Nepenthes ampullaria, nothing not even a new leaf for SIX MONTHS and then it turned into a weed! as for fastest, any of them, depends on the individual plant, heck that paradoxa you sent me Jim, a species thats supposed to be a pain to ship didnt skip a beat for me same with falconeri, ive had pings not do much for a month though they generally arent phased................just depends but that amp was definatly the longest to recover for me.

LOL! Ooooh, send me one so I can try it out!
smile_m_32.gif
Just kidding... just kidding. How long can that genus remain in a funk?

depends on the age of the plant, species and what your conditions are. i purchased a good sized clump of almost mature H. minor and getting shipped and trasplanted didnt set it back much for me maybe a week or two. i would think the hybrids and minor would adapt faster than some of the other species

For me it is Nepenthes that take the longest to settle in. Mainly because they have to adapt to windowsill growing. Typically around 3 months to start to pitcher again.

I believe it has all to do with your conditions and the shape of the plant when its shipped. Joe sent me a Lueco "Tarnok" that sent up a few pitchers and stalled and is pitchering again. Then he sent me a normal Leuco and it is just now starting to put out pitchers. Both were good size, and in good shape, but one plant took ok and the other is still in a funk. I ordered 3 nepenthes from a dealer, and the the ramspina, the one I thought would do the worst in my conditions is doing the best, the bicalcarata just opened its first pitcher after sitting there for a few months doing nothing. I can tell its getting alot more light than it came from because the leaves are half the size and this first pitcher is a little bigger than the one it had when I recieved it. Although this pitcher doesn;t have any fangs I can see yet, but the [itcher it had when it arrived did. The third was ampullaria and it put out a couple leaves but no pitchers and it is now inflating its first pitcher for me. So I think it depends on the plant and condition differentiation.

Definitely Nepenthes for me. I've had many go into shock and stay in that shock for months before I see any new growth.

When I got my first Sun Pitcher I thought it would be a while before it started to grow again, but it hit the ground running and has been growing since I got it!

Back