What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do you get your Nepenthes from?

Hey guys,
I recently fell in love with Nepenthes, and decided that I wanted to try growing some. Unfortunately, I've been having very little luck finding any.
I saw people posting online that they bought theirs at Home Depot and Lowes. I wasn't able to find any at Home Depot, and didn't want to risk making a long trek to Lowes if they also stopped selling them. At the only plant nursery near me, they only sold Nepenthes ventrata.
I refuse to accept the fact that I will only ever have one species of Nepenthes in my collection.
Does anyone know if Lowes still sells Nepenthes? If not, where do you guys get them from?

If it helps at all, I live in the Atlanta area.

You are not allowed to mention CP vendors on this site, but a generic place to get nepenthes is ebay. You can always find the common ones there and sometimes rarer ones for good prices as well, although depending on how much attention a certain auction gets, prices can get ridiculous.

Try here: Nepenthes ? FlyTrapShop Andrew has good prices and he is the webmaster here at Terra Forums. In this case it is alright to discuss the vendor.

Try here: Nepenthes ? FlyTrapShop Andrew has good prices and he is the webmaster here at Terra Forums. In this case it is alright to discuss the vendor.

But I'm still waiting for him to restock N. madagascariensis! :p

Nonetheless, great prices on them, and he has Judith Finn, which I have found to be strangely uncommon.

I've been a little wary of buying online, because you can't really see what you're getting into. I'm also paranoid that it will have died before it even reaches me.
In your experience, how roughed up do the plants get during the shipping process?

Nepenthes, and pitcher plants in general, handle shipping very well and will usually still look perfectly healthy after being in a box for several weeks. I have ordered plants from several different vendors and all have been packed very well with no risk of damage short of the box being run over by the delivery truck.

Nepenthes, and pitcher plants in general, handle shipping very well and will usually still look perfectly healthy after being in a box for several weeks. I have ordered plants from several different vendors and all have been packed very well with no risk of damage short of the box being run over by the delivery truck.

You just never know when a delivery truck is going to run over your boxes. I mean, it happens to my packages on a regular basis.

Well true, but the probability of that is unlikely :)
Can you pm people vendors? Or is that not allowed too? I really wish we could mention vendors here.

You can always try the trading forum, there is currently an intermediate grab bag giveaway going on right now. You can also, of course, trade some other CP's for neps. I have pm'd you with the names of a couple online nurseries. (You can mention nurseries in pm's)

My understanding is that PMing vendors is allowed, although while we're here I believe that there's also a grey area since I've seen discussion of sources that don't generally compete with FlyTrapShop, places like Wistuba and Exotica Plants who grow their own plants and supply vendors. (Mods feel free to delete whichever parts you think contravene the rules)

On the original topic, if you're looking for anything other than ventratas and the like, short of living near a nursery you're going to have to go online to find them. I know that Borneo Exotics is putting out their Bio-Dome range, but I'm not sure how widespread those are yet.

As for plants surviving transit, consider that major suppliers like Exotica Plants and Borneo Exotics ship plants to vendors all across the world, and those mostly survive just fine.

Last edited:
Discussing vendors outside the US is generally allowed since they don't really directly compete with FlyTrapShop. When you're just starting out though, importation is not a feasible option.

Does anyone know if Lowes still sells Nepenthes?

The plants carried by the BBSs can vary considerably by region, so you really can't rely on what folks find at them in their particular area.

At the only plant nursery near me, they only sold Nepenthes ventrata.
I refuse to accept the fact that I will only ever have one species of Nepenthes in my collection.

Just a side note ... N. ventrata is not a species. It is a hybrid: N. ventricosa X N. alata.

Do keep in mind that neps get huge ...particularly once they start vining. Also, many vendors -- like Wistuba and EP -- sell very small plants. At that young stage many are extremely slow growing which may or may not be a plus in your eyes.

Last edited:
I have never had an issue with nepenthes getting damaged by shipping. As Nimbulan said, pitcher plants tend to rarely get set back by shipping. I have received baby plants in the mail, only about 2-3 inches across all the way to adult plants 12+ inches across and my plants always have arrived in perfect shape. Once, I had a package arrive the day after I left on a 9 week vacation, and upon unpacking the nepenthes, it was perfectly fine and once potted started growing immediately.

Once, I had a package arrive the day after I left on a 9 week vacation, and upon unpacking the nepenthes, it was perfectly fine and once potted started growing immediately.

..................wat?
how? What sorcery is this?
If I didn't receive any attention for 9 weeks, I would just shrivel up and die. How the Nepenthe did it is completely beyond me.

Oops my bad. Nine day

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I've read about packages of plants being held up in shipping for several weeks and still arriving in good condition.

Evidently, usps has been secretly using the stasis pods from star trek.

Ah, so that is their secret eh?

Back