What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with my Nepenthes Ventricosa?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Something is wrong with my Nepenthes Ventricosa. It hasn't made a pitcher in like half a year and it hasn't had any growth in months. Nothing's rotting, but the whole plant is in suspended animation. It gets 2-3 hours of a direct sunlight a day, the rest of the day is bright indirect light. The soil is sphagnum moss with the top 1/2 inch a mixture of peat and perlite. When watered, the water tray is filled to the top and then allowed to evaporate before being watered again.

Any idea what's wrong? Btw, there's a mystery Sundew growing in the same pot. I noticed something growing there a month or two ago, and this small plant is forming a stem with various spoon-shaped leaves with tentacles.

NepenthesAndSundew1.jpg

Here's the sundew:
MysterySundew1.jpg

Kinda looks light deprived, to me. But I'm probably wrong. I don't really know what can be wrong. Maybe it's too wet? o_O

I would guess that the roots aren't liking their conditions. Pure LFS compacts easily and also rots when left in water. Peat and perlite aren't very gas-permeable and are likely smothering the roots and LFS below. I say repot it with the peat and perlite on the bottom and the LFS on top. Or something that's more airy, like LFS and orchid bark.
~Joe

Back