What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what's this bug?

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

thez_yo

instigator
Is it safe to feed to my plants? Should I just leave it?

P9160016.jpg

i think some beetles eat their way out of sarrs, and make a mess of the pitchers i wouldnt put it in one of my sarrs, IMO

K thanks :)
Here little nep-food.... :devil:

Then you squish it dead first XD
But she's got some big ol' neps that could totally pwn it anyway :lol:

Leave the little guy alone, he's too cool to be plant food.

Naw, I was just joking - I wouldn't pick that thing up for $500...it's too biggg! :0o:

*runs away screaming like a little girl*

I see them occasionally, if it was easy, I'd breed them.

makes me wanna start a bug collection

It is a June Bug also known as a Scarab or Dung beetle. They come in an enormous range of colors and sizes. Some people even collect these exclusively.

-Hermes.

Larry the beetles eat fruit, some bug places sell packaged "beetle jelly" to feed their adult beetles. As beetles they are adults, when they lay eggs and they hatch you will need to raise them from larvae. They may or may not eat the fruit, meal worm larvae eat the oatmeal and honey. IIRC that book on Beetles of California said some larvae eat rooted wood. If you check out EbayUK you can contact some exotic beetle sellers and ask them questions and of course "not buy anything"... LOL ;)

Last edited:
It's Cotinis Mutabilis

It wont hurt {eat} your Neps/Plants
They don't have any "Chewing" mouth parts & only feed on over rip, bird picked or rotted fruit

You read a lot about how destructive they are but It's all BS
They aren't even capable of chewing through the skin on fruit to damage it
&
The grubs don't eat/destroy roots they only feed on decaying matter

In the spring I have TONS of them living in my compost piles

Back