What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the biggest a flytrap....

Almost 2 inches wow!!
wow.gif

Hey,
I think the largest a vft trap has ever gotten is around 3 inches, the largest I have is 1 1/2 inches on a D.M. "Akai Ryu" nice pics,
Kevin

Just to let everyone know also that that photo isn't altered in any way by Tony (not that anyone else's is
wink.gif
hehe ) but I saw this VFT in person and it is HUGE. The rhizhome is the size of a golfball. I couldn't belive my eyes when I saw this typical VFT in Tony's greenhouse. I think humidity has a big effect on trap size. It seems higher humidity and temps increase trap size.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cynic81 @ Aug. 03 2003,1:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I saw VFTs with traps at least 3 inches long at the North Carolina Botanicla Garden's bog garden.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
WHAT?! I went and I only saw 1½ inch traps! ***whines*** When did you go??? I went last month!

Nepenthes gracilis-I couldn't agree more!
tounge.gif

I think Cynic81 must have been mistaken about the 3" traps..
If there was a 3" VFT trap somewhere, we would all know about it! (take out a ruler right now and look at 3"&#33
wink.gif
wow.gif

based on the actual physical eveidence in this thread, the largest *verified* trap is 1.75".

anything over 2" must be exceedingly rare, and IMO 3" is impossible..
(actually, I think 2" might even be impossible! I have never seen one more than 2"..has anyone? actually seen a *measured* trap more than 2"? not just looking and guessing..)

Scot

I've seen measured and 2 inches. Mike in the UK has the plant.

A man at the BACPS brought in a 35 year old sawtooth with traps reaching over 2 inches it was so cool!!! I thought it was a giant when I first saw it
Edit: Measured? hmmm.... I'm not sure but it was huge and had to be at least 2 inches ask Spec he saw it too.

FTG, don't even complain. I got to see huge VFTs, you got to bring home huge minors. I think you got the better end of the deal there
smile.gif
And I went on about july 5th.

Now that I look at a ruler, I think I may have exaggerated a little, liker a fisherman who said he caight one "this big" (spreads arms). But they were still pretty huge!

I'm bringing my monster 'Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright' to the August NECPS meeting Saturday the 16th. Hopefully Nathan or someone else will have a digital camera....

WildBill

I have had a few traps around about 2"...and the ones on the that one in the pic are close if not there. I really haven't measured it. But I have to ogle it every time I walk by because the traps are so big and YAWNING.

Hmmm...leaf cuttings....good idea Schloaty. lol No way to know that the cuttings would produce big traps. But would be fun to find out.
smile.gif

Suzanne

when i was 5 i had a vft that i fed wasps it lived for almost two years (it died when i moved to ok).

Back