What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the hell is this?... and some pics.

Hey,
So my N. veitchii x lowii flowered a while back, and took a good while to start growing again - and the leaf following the flower made this strange thin tendril going down to this curiosity:

Nveitchixlowiiwtf1.jpg

A closer look at the underside:
Nveitchixlowiiwtf2.jpg

What the heck is that???

Anyway, while you're here looking, here are some pics I took at the time I took the weirdo above:

N. veitchii x boschiana:
Nveitchiixboschiana1.jpg

N. ventricosa x lowii:
Nventricosaxlowii1.jpg

N. boschiana upper. This plant is a currently-flowering female, pollinated with N. spectabilis x veitchii.
Nboschianaupper2.jpg

Here's an overall pic of my N. sp. Langkawi, which is a nice grower and fun plant - can't wait to spread it around.
NspLangkawilower2.jpg

And finally, a few seedlings, N. maxima "mini" (1900msl)
Nmaximamini1.jpg

lol max what the hell is that indeed!
reminds me of a heli flower! lol
nice plants though :D

Hey Max, it looks like that's a leaf coming off of that tendril. Perhaps an aborted pitcher?

Awesome colors, and looking forward to seeing you up in the city. :)

I don't know if it is accurate or not but I like to think that some the mutations some of the cp's or some of the oddities they exhibit as seedlings may point back to how they originally evolved to begin with. Like a snap shot of the past.

I don't know if it is accurate or not but I like to think that some the mutations some of the cp's or some of the oddities they exhibit as seedlings may point back to how they originally evolved to begin with. Like a snap shot of the past.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe this is how it looked thousands of years ago...

I think chezilla is on to something! People like Stewart McPherson might be intrested in this! In his new books he goes into some detail on the morphology of the development of the nepenthes pitcher. To me it looks like it has created the lid of the pitcher but nothing else! That is cool! I would love to see how it develops!

Nice neps :D

Obligatory:

This. Is. SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jason

Yay for mutated leaves. :)

To me it looks like that is just a lid minus the rest of the pitcher...

That's what happens when you do not have a magic window!

Looks like a strange aborted pitcher that never formed and inside out.

haha nice mutant there :p pretty plants though :D

Haha Pyro beat me to it. It reminds me of a lid as well. Pretty neat! Cross that with my ventrata lidless mutant and we are back to square one! haha

Back