What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should I do with this!!!!!

Peanut

I like this
Hi everyone, I just turned 15 and on my birthday my grandma
bought me a Sundew plant... or octopus plant.
Thats what it says on the paper.

It came in a small plastic pot and it was wrapped in plastic.
Can someone give me some tips on how to care for it? I was looking on other websites and it just comfused me.
???
kinda looks like this.
Picture.jpg

sorry if its too blurry:-(

Welcome to the forums! Describe the soil to us. Does it look like regular potting soil with fertilizer? Does it look like it has white rock type things in it? Perlite?

I looks like a Drosera capensis. You should have no trouble growing it by a window. Depending on what it is potted in you may want to put it in a new pot of new stuff like peat and perlite or clean sand. Not playground sand.

You should also only use distilled water or rainwater. If you repot it make sure there arer holes in the bottom of the oopt and then you cna put the pot and plant in a tray of distilled water. This way the water gets sucked up into the soil mixture and simulaters a bog like environment.

Also, you won't need a cover or antyhing like that over hte plant.

Welcome, again!

xvart.

edit: And happy birthday!

D. capensis is a trooper. it wont die for you if it gets proper care :) happy birthday! and welcome to the forums.
Alex

Happy birthday. It grows very well at a sunny window sill, with the pot sitting in a plastic container of distilled water. Just give it light, water, and keep uncovered.

Yes, that is a Drosera capensis from Booman Floral in the 'sock' as I call it. They are normally planted in Canadian peat moss sometimes with the roots wrapped in LFS and a touch of large perlite in the mix. Booman's says they size their plants so you can leave them for a year before repotting.

My experience with Booman's plants is that they are very healthy plants (if not dried out from neglect in the stores).

Just take the twisty off the top and open the plastic bag funnel/sock and give the plant some distilled water. After a couple days remove the sock. The small plastic tray on the bottom of the pot should just snap off and you can carefully slide off the bag like taking off a sock. Or carefully cut it off with a scissors, taking care not to cut the plant. I'd discard the tray and use something else for a bottom tray. If you've removed the sock already no matter.

If you follow the care instructions on the card you will do well. They are pretty much right on the money for basic sundew care.

Drosera capensis or "Cape Sundew" are relatively easy to grow and is a perfect beginners plant.

Enjoy your first sundew and Happy Birthday :boogie:

PS: I hope you don't mind me hijacking the link to your photo for the thread on Lowes plant IDs

Welcome to the forums! Describe the soil to us. Does it look like regular potting soil with fertilizer? Does it look like it has white rock type things in it? Perlite?

I looks like a Drosera capensis. You should have no trouble growing it by a window. Depending on what it is potted in you may want to put it in a new pot of new stuff like peat and perlite or clean sand. Not playground sand.

You should also only use distilled water or rainwater. If you repot it make sure there arer holes in the bottom of the oopt and then you cna put the pot and plant in a tray of distilled water. This way the water gets sucked up into the soil mixture and simulaters a bog like environment.

Also, you won't need a cover or antyhing like that over hte plant.

Welcome, again!

xvart.

edit: And happy birthday!

Ugh. When I typed this last night I was having some serious low blood sugar, so sorry about the response. I wasn't drunk, lol. It was a little disorganized, but I think you all can get through the misspellings and redundancies...

xvart.

Ok thanks everyone and to answer xvart questions: Describe the soil to us. Does it look like regular potting soil with fertilizer? Does it look like it has white rock type things in it? Perlite?

the soil is all mossy,damp and it has green things growing at th bottom, no it does not look like regular potting soil, um no white rock things.

I also have another question, Where can I buy Non-carbonated distilled water?

Last edited:
the soil is all mossy,damp and it has green things growing at th bottom, no it does not look like regular potting soil, um no white rock things.

Good. It sounds like peat. And based on what NAN said you should be fine for now.

I also have another question, Where can I buy Non-carbonated distilled water?

Check your local grocery store. You can buy distilled water for under a buck a gallon in milk jug looking things. Or even cheaper if you have a refillable thing.

xvart.

Yes, you can buy bottles the grocery store or a drug store like CVS, Rite-Aid etc. It gets expensive after a while or if you have many plants. Check with your parents because they may have a Reverse Osmosis filter already for drinking water - do you have a separate faucet for drinking water on your kitchen sink?

Here's some reading on water:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3380.html

ooooooo wow thank you :D I also have a venus fly trap. The Do and Donts on the instruction card looks wayyyy harder and from what I've seen it looks hard O_O I'll post it on the VFT section. and uhhhh can 15 year olds get a drivers liscene or is that 16? xD just curious cuz I want one.

Yes, you can buy bottles the grocery store or a drug store like CVS, Rite-Aid etc. It gets expensive after a while or if you have many plants. Check with your parents because they may have a Reverse Osmosis filter already for drinking water - do you have a separate faucet for drinking water on your kitchen sink?

Here's some reading on water:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3380.html

A seperate faucet for drinking? Do you mean the black, slim, bent, pipe pumper looking thing on the other side of the counter next to the sink? That would actually work?

hahahahaha! I just went out and bought myself some water! I feel like a good boy :)

Here is what I bought, can I use it?
Picture028.jpg

Tell me if im a good boy or a bad boy xD

Whoa what do I look like, a dominatrix? Can men be dominatrixes? Is more than one dominatrix called a dominatrii? You tell me Peanut.

It's fine.

I dunno what you just said, but it sounded kinda cool o_O THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I can finally water my plants xD

I dunno what you just said, but it sounded kinda cool o_O THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I can finally water my plants xD

LOL. They'll thank you for it!

xvart.

and so. the journey has begun :) you live in Long Beach? you can grow that outside year-round then(i think its far enough south) put it in full sun and keep it watered. it will look amazing in the months to come.
Alex

In the duplex I live in right now... I can hardley get any sunlight because all my windows and porches face to the west and the sun rises in the east. The most sunight is around 9AM - 3PM but im at school around this time. I leave my plant on a dusty window sill closest to the east and the most sunlight it gets is about 4 hours.

No, placing it outside is not an option because the neighbor kids will totally destroy it.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been said clearly enough but it is very important that you do not wet the leaves. Don't pour water on it thinking it will be more dewy and nicer to look at.

You won't like it if somebody poured tap water into your eyes. It's the same for these plants. When you water, under no circumstances should you try to wash the dew from the leaves or wet the plant and think you're adding more dew.

Just my 2 cents worth.

ditto to the above. the dew is not water.

4 hours seems...i dont even know. if the new leaves come up and the tentacles are red. its enough.
Alex

THanks, I love you guys T.T thanks for the warning BT

Back