What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is considered a "ultra highland"

I was wondering what would be an ultra highland? Is the hamata ultra. Is there any special care needed for these?

rajah and villosa are good examples. The difference between highland and "ultra highland" is that most highland can do well in intermediate conditions, while ultra highlanders "must" have constant high humidity and their temperature range must be strictly adhered to constantly. They are just...picky...i guess you could say

What would the ideal temps and humidity be for the ultras? would using maybe a heat pad during the day and they at night turn on the humidifier that has a fan and maybe putting a frozen water bottle to make it get colder be a good idea? I might try to make a ultra type setting for my hamata to see how that does. How about muluensis x lowii? I read that if the temp gets above 80 they won't pitcher?

hybrids are much more tolerant of temperature ranges, unless of course it is ultra x ultra. A suitable temperaturerange would be at least 40F at night with high humidity (above 70%) and heat during the day would not be a good idea, especially to the roots. hamata isn't too picky as long as humidity is always high and temperature is cool range of 80 to 50F.

Don't use a heat pad for ultrahighlanders since they don't need anything far above 75°F during the day anyway. Using a frozen water bottle is not too effective and a big hassle.

Many people use chest freezers to grow these, but the best method is to convert a refrigerating unit to work for a terrarium. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to do that.

I have posted a cool growing vivarium that a gentleman from sweden had build. It used a chest freezer on the bottom and the top was clear so you could see into it. He uses it to grow cool growing orchids. The highlanders of the orchid kingdom you could say. You owuld have to do a search on here for it. I have the pictures saved but I need to get to work now. It is a really nice setup and would cost a bit, but to me would be worth it. Anywho goodluck.

I'm not getting into getting some of these ultra's like rajah and villosa. I'm just trying to make a hamata a little happier.

10gal tank + plexiglass cover + some sort of vent + frozen water bottle + good lighting = happy Hamata.
Alex

I auctually thought of making a terrarium with water in the bottom and putting a chiller in it, untill I looked at dr. foster and smith and saw what chillers cost :-0

I don't have my hamata yet, but I have assembled the setup for it. Like glider said, it's a 10 gal aquarium with a transparent lid.

I don't use cooling in mine. For ventilation, I can open the lid up just a bit.

The tank has a 2 x 24" fluorescent fixture on top of it. This warms the tank up for the Drosera seedlings in it right now, but I have experimented with removing the ballast. When I do this, it cools down considerably-- to a degree acceptable for highland plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phissionkorps @ Oct. 14 2006,9:09)]rajah and villosa are good examples. The difference between highland and "ultra highland" is that most highland can do well in intermediate conditions, while ultra highlanders "must" have constant high humidity and their temperature range must be strictly adhered to constantly. They are just...picky...i guess you could say
I beg to differ about rajah. We grow them here in Taiwan under "fake intermediate" conditions, which means offsetting the tropical heat with lots of shade. As long as there is at least 5 degrees temp drop at night, lots of humidity, and an airy soil mix, rajahs grow just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Oct. 15 2006,2:39)]I'm not getting into getting some of these ultra's like rajah and villosa. I'm just trying to make a hamata a little happier.
Then why did you ask about ultrahighlands?
smile_m_32.gif

N. hamata just needs typical highland conditions, with humidity being very important and high all the time (at least 60%). Nocturnal temperatures should be at least 50F.

When you consider that Elgecko is growing hamata as a house plant I would not worry overly much
smile.gif

my hamata isnt terribly picky. keep the humidity high(but mine is a lil tiny thing). days of 75-80, nights at 65 and its growing like a champ. as long as the days are terribly hot and it gets a definate drop in temps at night and keep the humidity up a bit and you should be good to go.

Yea I really don't get a temp drop. It's starting to cool down because of winter but the humidity also will be coming down. So with this tank I can the temps up to whatever the lights bring it up to and then at night the temps drop when the lights go out, the humidifier goes on, and the frozen bottle goes in.

Rattler..if thats how you grow yours then i can get Hamata!! iget night time temps ower than that! HORRAY!
Alex

keep in mind, what works for one grower may not work for another.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Oct. 14 2006,10:26)]Don't use a heat pad for ultrahighlanders since they don't need anything far above 75°F during the day anyway. Using a frozen water bottle is not too effective and a big hassle.

Many people use chest freezers to grow these, but the best method is to convert a refrigerating unit to work for a terrarium. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to do that.
Actually , a heat pad can benefit during the day is your temps are low to begin with. If you have 65 degree temps during the(especially in the Winter), that can simulate a temp drop right there.
I see you live in Wisconsin. It gets fairly cold during the Winter, doesn't it?
Set up the tank and get a thermometer(you can even get a digital one that has inside/outside temps and the humidity) in there and experiment.
Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]keep in mind, what works for one grower may not work for another.

very, very true

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Oct. 16 2006,10:54)]and the frozen bottle goes in.
Don't bother with the frozen water bottle-- it just sucks humidity out of the air. Besides, with a hamata, you really don't need huge temperature drops.

Back