What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you want to bid on this year?

• Thread starter Acro
  • Start date
It's April and the auction starts in May! Its time to start posting what you want to bid on during the NASC 2023 Auction. This will help guide those who are donating plants and other items. :)

Here is my wanted list . . . make me spend my money:
Nepenthes x St. Gaya
Nepenthes glabrata cross
Nepenthes gracilis
Nepenthes sibuyanensis x merrilliana
Nepenthes ‘plumpkin’ - aka - N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x [(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x merrilliana]

Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana)
Mushroom Herb (Rungia Klossii)
Coral Bells (Heuchera americana)
Bleeding Heart (Lamprocapnos spectabilis)
White baneberry (Actaea pachypoda)
Toad Lily (Tricyrtis hirta)
Epiphytic bromeliads
Orchids of various species, ferns of various species . . .

Homemade / handmade items like candles, soap, etc.

Last edited:
I'm always on the lookout for Heliamphora, Cephalotus, and CPs with location information. But let's be honest, I always been a sucker for Sarracenia.

This is a very long comment, asking a couple related questions. Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread a bit.

I was thinking about this from a couple slightly different angles:

1) What sorts of things might be easy for (other) people to donate, and would be really appreciated, by me or others?

2) What can I donate at the moment?

First question:

One thing that came to mind is a nice collection of Pinguicula leaf pullings. I understand there is a "best" time of the year for many, which may be about now (?) If so, they could certainly be taken now instead of at the time of the auction. They would just be farther along. I'm not personally in the market for more Pinguiculas right now (I think. I only have P. gigantea) but given the current popularity of the genus, this might be fun for someone to add to the auction.

I would probably like to get Pinguicula 'Tina' back at some point.

I don't know if it's practical to add collections of other leaf pullings? Is this practical for VFTs at the appropriate time? I've never propagated one, but I suspect an instant collection of cultivars could have great appeal. A collection of Drosera leaf pullings would no doubt have great appeal.

Of course, many can take cuttings of their plants. Many of us have experience with unrooted Nepenthes cuttings, so those are entirely reasonable to add to the auction, especially if one has a very vigorous plant.

I expect fresh Nepenthes seed pods would get a lot of attention.

So I would encourage people to look around and see whatever cuttings, seedlings, seeds, or excess plants they might have. I personally don't have much in the way of CPs to add to the auction at the moment. Possibly a Nepenthes basal I removed, but it's probably premature. I'm already planning to propagate Pinguicula gigantea, and give a couple leaves to someone, so I can't donate leaves at the moment.

My second question: a couple non-carnivorous plants I'm thinking of adding to the auction:

Begonia amphioxus:

I took a cutting and stuck it in soil. I assume it's rooting, and it has a lot of aerial roots (grown in enclosed conditions). I'm expecting it will be stably rooted in time for the auction. As far as I'm aware, this is usually grown as a terrarium plant. I don't have a picture of bigger plant right now. This is considered a fairly choice plant, although it has become cheaper and more available lately. This is in a 3 inch cup. The cutting is fairly small.

A couple views:

Begonia amphioxus 4:16 2 .jpg

It's one branched cutting. It has tons of aerial roots:
Begonia amphioxus 4:16 1 .jpg

Impatiens namchabarwensis:

The blue Impatiens, discovered relatively recently in the world's deepest canyon in Tibet. It dies with frost but is generally a prolific reseeder, so they can be grown in some areas with significant winter cold. I believe they are somewhat heat sensitive, but I'm not sure where they can be grown successfully. I have some plants that made it through our unusually cold and wet winter (SF Bay Area). However, they looked ragged, and needed to be cut back to encourage bushiness. So I'm rooting some cuttings, which can hopefully be donated. I also have seedlings, but I suspect rooted cuttings are easier to ship than potted plants. The plants are very brittle. The plant can be grown indoors under lights.

The plant in bloom:

Impatiens namchabarwensis Sunnvyale.jpg

Joy's Impatiens namchabarwensis.jpg

And the cuttings I started today (about 5 cuttings? I'll find out and edit this). These normally root in 1-2 weeks, but I have these outside now. Hopefully there's time...

Impatiens namchabarwensis cuttings 4:16.jpg

Yes, there's too much water, but I'm more concerned with them drying out than the lower leaves being too wet.

Hattie Wood Sansevieria:

This is kind of an odd plant, because it's one with a long story. I posted that elsewhere on Terraforums:

So basically, it's descendent of the plant in the Grant Wood painting 'Woman with Plants'. I have the list of who owned it up to me, which was also published by the guy who gave me the plant. It's probably (?) also the same Sansevieria as the one in the more famous painting 'American Gothic' (which is arguably the most famous American painting. It's certainly the most parodied). So the person who gets this plant would have a plant with a connection to art and history. I find that very cool.

Here's what I have propagated at the moment. The mother plant lives at my mom's. It lives outside and looks terrible, which is why I'm inclined to keep the larger plant...

Hattie Wood Sansevieria propagation 4:16.jpg

I'm leaning toward the largest plant in the propagation pot on the left (near the white tag). It's the second largest plant above. It was removed from the rooted leaf a while ago, and has been living on its own roots.

I might also include a rhizome cutting of the Begonia in the painting ("Beefsteak"/'Erythrophylla'). It's not a descendent of the plant in the paintings, but should be the same clone.

I'm continuing to think what I might have at the moment, both CP and non CP.

And again, apologies for shifting the discussion. I'm basically trying to sort through my thoughts.

Pretty much anyone should have something they can donate.

Last edited:
Another question I have is whether companies/nurseries are allowed/encouraged to donate plants. I expect they tend to have an excess of certain plants. This would benefit a good cause, and I expect would help the nursery in the long run. Do they ever contribute, or are they encouraged to?

Yes items can be donated from/by vendors and related advertising within the listing is fine. If creating an account to do so they should still follow forum rules and not use the name of their business or have advertising within their profile/signature.

In practice do many vendors donate items? Are they actively encouraged to? It seems like a great opportunity for everyone.

My impression is that in the past vendors have offered items but generally under their personal identities and not as their businesses. It does seem like a good idea, tho'. 'Might as well get some business recognition for their generosity.

But, back to the main question - I am always looking for Utricularia campbelliana these days, should anyone have any they would like to donate to the auction.

I think most often someone does the legwork of getting a vendor to donate something and then that person lists it for them along with recognition that they are donating it. I wouldn't say it's a common thing, but I don't know how many people reach out and ask for donations. Vendors have also posted for themselves though.

I'll be looking for Sarracenia species that aren't S. flava ... some oddball S. rubras would be nice. Last year's auction was a flava extravagaza - someone donated an amazing variety of flavas. I donated an ordinary one.

Sarrs, Pings, Sundews, orchids, anything miniature. I am reduced to having only LL neps so any neps I bid on have to be small and a LL variety.

sarrs, dews, ll neps and whatever looks interesting

Yes items can be donated from/by vendors and related advertising within the listing is fine. If creating an account to do so they should still follow forum rules and not use the name of their business or have advertising within their profile/signature.
Andrew - I don't mean anything from this, and I'm only pointing this out in humor. But it looks pretty crazy to have the signature of the person stating what CAN'T be contained in said signature have just about every single thing that isn't permitted in their OWN signature. LOL

@Houstonherp
Doesn't seem crazy to me. My store is the sole sponsor of this forum and as such has essentially paid advertising dues in order to have that info in all my posts. I mean, without my store, this forum wouldn't be here. I didn't even want to sell CPs, if you've never ready my WHAT is flytrapshop.com post (WHAT is FlyTrapShop.com?) , you would see I only started selling in order to pay to run this forum. I think my personal advertising here is quite minimal, given these facts. ;)

Owner of the site gets to break their own rules . . .
Kinda like a store that has a "No Dog" policy; but the owner brings their dog to work every day.

But back on topic . . . I'm also looking for:

Red Mangroves
Super Worms (about 1000)
Eublaberus distanti “Ivory”

Owner of the site gets to break their own rules . . .
Kinda like a store that has a "No Dog" policy; but the owner brings their dog to work every day.
Have to disagree with your discontent there. I've been on a number of different plant forums which are owned/run by a business/nursery. It is pretty common practice for them to disallow advertising for competing businesses but not their own. I've never seen that as "unfair". Hosting a forum does cost money. If the owner allows folks to use their forum for free, then the only way they can pay for the site is from either donations or ads -- especially ads for their own site to drive a little business their way. This can be even more of an issue if the host's selling of plants (or whatever the product may be) is only a side hobby since sales are unlikely to amount to any significant sums of money.

Last edited:
Ya’ll play nice now.

I want to try again with Aldrovanda vesiculosa var rubescens {Botswana}.

Last shipment didn’t survive the International flight.

@Houstonherp
Doesn't seem crazy to me. My store is the sole sponsor of this forum and as such has essentially paid advertising dues in order to have that info in all my posts. I mean, without my store, this forum wouldn't be here. I didn't even want to sell CPs, if you've never ready my WHAT is flytrapshop.com post (WHAT is FlyTrapShop.com?) , you would see I only started selling in order to pay to run this forum. I think my personal advertising here is quite minimal, given these facts. ;)
Andrew -

No disrespect intended whatsoever! I guess I shouldn't have used the word 'crazy'. I meant it as in 'wild' or 'funny'...not to say you're insane or stupid or anything else negative for doing so. I don't disagree with you at all...I just found it funny that the post that commented about what NOT to put in your signature had a signature that included all of the disallowed points. That's all that was meant by it. :)

Have to disagree with your discontent there.
Um, if you are talking to me . . . there is no discontent.
I'm not sure if you read me right.
I'm just saying the owner gets to do what they want to do. And the fact that it's supporting the forum is a good thing. Maybe I didn't make sense?

Anyway, let's all steer this back to the topic: What do you want to bid on for this year's auction! :)

I read it the way you're saying @Acro !
I'm watching for pings, sarrs and cephs. Well, cephs first probably... so no particular order!

Back