What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What conditions (roughly) trigger dormancy

Hey guys I am new to this forum and I have a question about dormancy. I know the basics and everything, but I am wondering if I am going to be able to keep my bog that I have outside year round. Basically what I am looking for is the approximate temperatures that must be maintained in order for VFT's (and also Sarracenia) to realize it is time to go dormant. I live in Southern California and have heard of a few people here in Los Angeles keeping their flytraps outside year round, but for some reason I don't think our winters are cold enough. Any replies are greatly appreciated!!

Zach

A combination of lower light levels, low amount of daytime, weather, temperature, water level

As far as temperatures go, lower than 15 degrees celcius should do it. But just the light level, daytime, water level can trigger a dormacy aswell

.....less water, less food.....

The biggest factor for the onset of dormancy is a decreased photoperiod. But also a decrease in temperature will slow the growth of the plant. Most people agree that dormancy starts around the end of October or November depending on the latitude where you live and temperatures.

I see that you are from Southern California. The photoperiod shouldn't be a problem, and I just looked up the average temperatures for Los Angeles and I see that in the winter, the average highs stay in the 70F range. Ideally, it would be a little cooler than that. Somewhere maxing out in the 60F would be best. I have heard of people growing VFTs outside year round in LA though, so I think you should be fine.

Maybe someone else from SoCal will reply with more experience in your specific area.

I live in LA and grew them outside through winter. They went dormant just fine and are coming back nicely now. For winter I moved them to a shadier area and took them out of their water dish in favor of occasional top watering. Temperature is really not a big deal.

LA dormancy is not very extreme. My rosettes got noticeably shorter and tighter, but there was very little browning.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. So my general consensus is that I should be fine growing my mini bog where I have my VFT's and Sarr's outside year round. I might possibly move it to a shadier spot for winter though...we'll see. So ya thanks again for the replies!!

Zach

Back