What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these

• Thread starter Mozie
  • Start date
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what these 2 CPs are:

Image 1:
Munky02.JPG

Image 2:
Sara01.JPG

Thanks

The first one is Sarracenia purpurea most likely ssp venosa. The purple pitcher plant is its common name. If the outside of the hoods is smooth/non-hairy it's probably ssp purpurea.

I won't hazard a guess as to which Sarracenia the second one is. If you can get a closer shot of the hood, mouth and throat areas it would probably be helpful. The plant looks like it is dormant.

How many hours of direct sunlight does your windowsill get? Sarracenia need lots of sunlight to be happy and normally do better outdoors. The S. purpurea might do ok on the windowsill.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Not a Number @ Jan. 11 2007,7:34)]The first one is Sarracenia purpurea most likely ssp venosa. The purple pitcher plant is its common name. If the outside of the hoods is smooth/non-hairy it's probably ssp purpurea.

I won't hazard a guess as to which Sarracenia the second one is. If you can get a closer shot of the hood, mouth and throat areas it would probably be helpful. The plant looks like it is dormant.

How many hours of direct sunlight does your windowsill get? Sarracenia need lots of sunlight to be happy and normally do better outdoors. The S. purpurea might do ok on the windowsill.
Thanks. Ok this is a close-up:
Sara02.jpg

...but it's not very clear. I'll take some more pics and post them.

I'm not sure if the plant is dormant, I live in South Africa so it's summer here now (average daytime temp +26C or +78F). When I bought the plant it was rather neglected and some of the 'shoots' were dying off fron the hood down. It's in better shape now after some TLC.

The windowsill gets about 4 hours direct sunlight, is that too little? My sundews and VFTs love this postion.

Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mozie @ Jan. 10 2007,10:11)]I'm not sure if the plant is dormant, I live in South Africa so it's summer here now (average daytime temp +26C or +78F). When I bought the plant it was rather neglected and some of the 'shoots' were dying off fron the hood down. It's in better shape now after some TLC.

The windowsill gets about 4 hours direct sunlight, is that too little? My sundews and VFTs love this postion.

Thanks
I'll leave up to the Sarracenia afficionados to ID the second Sarracenia. I bought one this week that looks very similar but I don't have photos yet.

4 hours may not be enough for the second plant. The growing patterns of Sarrs varies quite a bit depending on the species/hyrbrid so it might take some time to tell. If you get floppy pitchers it's probably not getting enough light.

Here's a photo of the S. purpurea I just picked up before New Years:
04200013.jpg

I'm gonna take some more pics and post them, your S. purpurea seems quite different to mine. Thanks

There is much variation within the species in nature let alone the manipulations of mankind. Add in growing conditions and age of the plant which can affect the appearance. When the plants flower next spring post photos of the flower which is the best way to nail down the species.

Feel free to post photos of all your plants. There's a photo thread in the Pitcher Plant section of this bulletin board.

It looks like it may be a S. rubra variety.

I think the second one may be S. x 'Judith Hindle' but...

The second one has leucophylla in it and could possible be a Judith Hindle or a Dana's Delight.

THough the picture is a bit blurry, I'll have to go with the leucophylla theory on the second picture. Or a hybrid of it.

Here are some clearer photos and closeups. Hope they help in identifying this CP (I'm busy resizing the photos of the 2nd plant):

SarraceniaP04x.jpg
SarraceniaP05x.jpg
SarraceniaP06x.jpg
SarraceniaP06y.jpg
SarraceniaP07x.jpg
SarraceniaP07y.jpg
SarraceniaP08x.jpg

And here is the other plant I'd like to have identified:

SarraceniaT09y.jpg
SarraceniaT03x.jpg
SarraceniaT04x.jpg
SarraceniaT05x.jpg
SarraceniaT09x.jpg

Thanks all :hail:

IMHO that is a Judith Hindle that is bad need of more light. I say that because that is exactly what mine looked like when I had no choice but grow it on my windowsill when the outside of my apt was being renovated.

IMHO that is a Judith Hindle that is bad need of more light. I say that because that is exactly what mine looked like when I had no choice but grow it on my windowsill when the outside of my apt was being renovated.

Thanks. So is that why some of the 'leaves' are dying from the top/spout down? It gets about 4 hours direct sunlight, but if that is not enough then I'll have to put it outside:
Sara01.JPG

no it's not a 'Judith Hindle', it is a hybrid with leucophylla in it though

Well... a good way to tell would be to put it outside in more sunlight and see if it turns red :0o:

I will concede that it may not be a "Judith Hindle", but all I can say is that when I had mine on a windowsill like that, the leaves became green with only a few white spots in it, and was really long and thin like the shown picture

It looks like an areolata to me.or it could be aleuc flava X.

the first plant is probably a purpurea ssp venosa as suggested already.

where did you buy these plants? the best person to ask is the perso you bought them off, it is almost impossible to be sure of identification of hybrids just by looking at pictures. If you want to be sure of identification then be sure to buy labelled plants from a bone fide grower in the first place!!

you can get a good idea if you know what the main importers /growers have in stock, those that supply the garden centres. here in the UK for example you will not commonly find 'Judith Hindle' for sale, only from other private growers. However you will get 'Juthatip Soper' as it is mass produced in Holland and imported in significant numbers. Other complex leuco hybrids available are usually leuco x rubra backcrosses.

I'll just add on the fact that the purp is S. purpurea ssp. venosa because it's fuzzy, while the northern form is relatively smooth, with only some hairs.

-Ben

That second plant is definitely not a Judith Hindle or Dana's Delight. It looks like a readii (rubra x leucophylla) or areolata (alata x leucophylla). The same goes for the third plant you posted. It could be either of those two. You have to grow them out more and more light would help.

Back