What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weevil drinking from drop of water (pic)

Last weekend I sat down and built a flash diffuser using foamcore, white paper and white duct tape. I wanted something that would be super quick to set-up with the flash mounted directly onto the camera hotshoe (I am a big believer in the KISS principle). The working distance for my 35mm macro lens is only 3.5 cm when is focussed to maximum (1:1) magnification, so I needed a diffuser that would effectively light a subject at that distance.

The new diffuser is strong but extremely light, and fits snugly on the flash (and cost pennies to make). The photo below of a weevil taking a drink of water was the first picture I took using it. I’m very pleased with the result. Of course it helps that I was photographing such a pretty insect!

I don’t know if anyone would be interested, but I posted diagrams and instructions for making a similar diffuser on my blog.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

P6170307 weevil re edit2 copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

wonderful results with the homemade diffuser. thanks for sharing :)

Amazing pic! I love the bokeh (did I get that right?) in the background.

I know that plants need regular watering, but does plant FOOD need regular watering? Apparently so! Nice shot!

Back