What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weather and Bogs

CPsinSC

Ryan + Sara
I'm going to be putting sarrs and vft into a new (and my first) bog this weekend.
I live in Greenville, SC and for those of you on my side of the country see the big storm heading our way. I have forecasts for winds of 10-25 mph and gusts up to 40.

Is this type of weather that a newly transplanted sarr/vft can tolerate or would I be better off waiting for the storm to pass to give them their new home?

The area I live in seems to channel wind right thru my property.. I have the bog depth set at 20" with a 4" rim above that and another 2" or so of rock on top of that. Is this type of barrier good to have for somewhat windy areas or should I just add another 4" of mix to the bog?

Cool. We have a house in Hiawassee, Ga and get our local TV channels out of Greenville.

If you feel uncomfortable just wait a day.

How did it go, did you decided to plant them?? Yea we got some of the bad wind and tornado's. Glad it over

BTW share some pics of your bog garden. I'm think of doing one myself.

Chris

I waited until yesterday (Monday) .. will have to post some pics when I get home from work today :)

I do have a pic of my judith hindle actually .. probably the best looking plant I got.

dsc00050.jpg

beautiful plant and photo. I hope that you didn't get hit too hard from mama nature.

Yes beautiful plant.. Hope all is well after the storms we had

pretty plant. Wind can't do to much. Right? Right?? ;)
Good luck

I've heard it can .. especially in a newly established bog.
Still haven't gotten around to taking some pics of the bog yet .. having a minor problem with it. For a couple of days now, I haven't been able to maintain the water level. Turns out it's because I have a leak in my drain (does that make sense?, lol). It's a drain that's only supposed to drain when I want it to :)

So.. I was facing possibly digging up my bog again, but I decided to dig a hole thru the side of the bog to get to the drain location from behind. Does anybody have any experience using silicone to seal a drain in a 3' x 5' x 20" bog? I hope the first time around, I simply missed a spot (The silicone is used for terrariums/aquariums, but seems to have a limit as to what it can hold). I know of one other option that should be safe for the plants, but it's more expensive (black waterfalll foam ... sold at some landscape supply places ... use it to seal rocks/plastic in the pond).

Cp,

IMHO, if the silicone is going to be in a compression loading (such as aquariums) then it will do great in your application for years, if it will be under a tension (pull or push apart) loading it probably will fail rather quickly, in either case I would scuff the surface and make sure it is good and clean prior to application

can't you use a bulkhead fitting?

cheers'
Av

(for reference, static head pressure is 1psi per 2.31 ft of water depth, depth not volume is the key factor)

I decided to go with ol' faithful .. black waterfall foam (easily bonds to the smooth plastic liner and can even be used in wet conditions).
Compared to silicone, the foam is quite superior (same fish/plant safe properties as silicone). It does cost about $15-25 per can whereas silicone is like $4, but foam dries in 30 minutes - silicone in 24 hours. Foam also expands in cracks and is flexible once dry (holds tension good).
I probably coulda used a bulkhead fitting, but the drain was a last minute decision with not enough preparation.
All fixed up now though :)

Will go get some pictures now that everything's replanted.

Back