What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walmart stupidity

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Ok so I went to walmart today just to see what they had. They had some sarrs, notable a mardi gras. Is Mardi gras a cultivar, by the way? Anyway back to the story. I'm looking at them and notice that they have dumped a bunch of DIRT in the trays they were sitting in.!!!!!!!! :headwall: Will the stupidity ever end????? Needless to say, I will be acquiring a Mardi Gras, Tarnok, and Wriglyana in the next couple days.

My wal-mart keeps them on the bottom shelf inside the store so they get no light while they keep crap plants on the outside deck.

Well that's one thing our walmart doesnt do. They actually keep their plants outside in the sun.

This isn't surprising; it happens all the time. What do you expect? They sure don't expect anything. How are they supposed to know that these plants don't like mineral rich soil? These plants go against most people's way of thinking.

-Ben

Wow , I would never imagine a Wal Mart carrying a 'mardi gras'. I have a young one right now and I can't wait till it gets older. the pitchers they produce are stunning... It's either a hybrid or a cultivar...maybe both?

Yeah, I'm surprised that walmart carries those plants. I wouldn't be surprised if they were grossly mislabeled either; but, let's hope they are what they say they are! A little TLC and they will recover just fine.

xvart.

surprisingly, they have been labeled right so far. The S. x Catsbeis are right, the S. 'Tarnoks', the purps and the flavas, and it's kinda hard to mislabel a VFT.... LOL

So yea I bought a 'Mardi Gras' today; here are a few pics. I used my mom's camera so I'm not used to it's focus, they are a little blurry.

210750710O495919162.jpg

210750713O739650116.jpg

210750751O625491155.jpg

I'm gonna post in the ID section to double check the ID's on this little guy.

Wow, Walmart has WAY better ones than HD or Lowes.

It depends on the walmart. The walmart here is the only one I've ever seen with such plants.

The plants I've seen at my Walmart.

Dionaea muscipula

Sarracenia
Flava
Rubra
x Catsbei
'Tarnok'
Minor
x Wriglyana(sp?)
'Judith Hindle'​

Pingicula Moransis

Cape Sundews

Well it defiantly is a S. 'Mardi Gras' and a nice one at that. Mine turn a nice dark red in full sun.

-Jeremiah-

Wow! Nice. All we get in Southern California are labeled either just "Sarracenia" or Sarracenia purpurea even when it is something like S. minor.

Any indication of what nursery those are coming from on the labels or care instructions?

wow a healthy plant from walmart... didnt think it were possible... maybe they just got them in? ;) Congrats on the new plant(s)

Oh yea, they'd just gotten them within the week.

No, there was no indication of the nursery, but w/e nursery it is, they have been supplying our Walmart with these guys every summer that I can remember.

I wonder if they get them directly from the UNCC Botanical Gardens. If you ever see any of the "Little Bugs" series (Red Bug, Doodlebug and Lady Bug) pitcher plants then I would say so.

I'll keep and eye out, but I highly doubt they do. They hike a buck on to them every year.... the first year, the hybrids were $6 and the normals were $5. The next, the hybrids were $7 and the normals were $6. A few years passed and now the hybrids are $10 and the normals are $9. I was willing to pay $10 for a single mardi gras, but a Tarnok or wriglyana or catsbei???? NO WAY.

WHAT A SCORE. Today I went into walmart and paid a grand total of $5.31 for Sarracenia 'Dana's Delight'. Tomorrow I will pay the same for S. 'Scarlet Belles'. I love our walmart.

Very Nice. I've only seen VFTs. There was one WalMart with a very large plant section with a couple of outdoor and slightly enclosed greenhouses and the VFTs were on a bottom shelf DEEEEEP inside of the indoor section. I tried to see if I could weasel some discounts out of them on the sickly looking ones and they said "no". Another store had plants with cracked domes and one had no pot at all-just a clump of moss and plant-and would they mark them down? No. BOTH stores said that they don't do that and just get credit for them and toss them. I tried the customer service desk at one and was told that 10% off was the best that they can do.

Nice to hear that some folks have positive CP experiences at Wal Mart. Congrats, I'm jealous.

wow! that is amazing!!!
I admit that I buy my local CPs at a pretty high price, but they are always worth the price

I think our walmart looks for odd plants because our town is such a touristy place that they like to make the money offa tourists.

Back