What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video: western thatching ants in action

I recently bought a new camera: an Olympus OM-D E-M5. One of the reasons I bought it was that I wanted to try my hand at video.

A couple of weeks ago I took some video of western thatching ants. I really didn’t have a plan, and to be honest, I wasn’t all that sure of what I was doing! But I shot a few minutes of video, came home and edited the footage using MS Movie Maker. Amazingly the whole process only took a couple of hours!

So now I have my own Youtube channel, I have uploaded a video, and it’s about ants...I'm such a geek!

David Attenborough has nothing to worry about; but it was a fun little project and it has me thinking about the possibilities...

Please check it out and don’t hesitate to comment. Any suggestions for improvement would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Last edited:
Ernie,
Very cool video. How did you get close enough for macro without them attacking you? :scratch:

Thanks! These ants aren't too agressive, and when they bite it just feels like a little pinch, they can't break the skin. I also tried my best not to disturb them. The tricky part was leaning accross the nest with the camera without being able to put my hand down to support myself. Hard on the back! LOL!

EC

:bigthumpup:love your work Ernie,green onions was a good choice too,hope to see some more videos from your new camera

:bigthumpup:love your work Ernie,green onions was a good choice too,hope to see some more videos from your new camera

Thank you!! I'll do my best! I'm happy that spring has arrived and there will be lots to photograph/video now. I just need more time in the day!

Cheers,
EC

Ask your doctor if ciallis is right for you. :lol:

thanks for sharing! Thanks for sharing-- I love eusocial insects!

Back