What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viability of carnivorous plant seed

Here is a simple question... does anybody have any idea what the time that seed from the various carnivorous plants can be kept and still germinate?
I would assume that the answer will depend on the species and variety (similar to keeping heirloom seed for various vegetables and/or flowers). This, of course, assumes that somebody has even tried to find out.

varries greatly from genus to genus and even species to species. than how you store it prolly has a big part in life span. i would guess those species from temperate areas would have seed that would survive cool/cold dry storage for a very long time.

its my understanding the most Utric seed has the shortest life span but given that there are some annual species in areas with hot and dry summers which makes me believe that these species can last alot longer than say those from the rain forest. Drosera prolly last more than most. ive recieved seed that was several years old that had decent germination rates.

I know someone who germinated D. regia seed after 8 years of storing it.

D. lusitanicum(sp?) seed have been germinated after being stored for 6 years. who knows...it could go all the way up to 10 yrs! the seed of utrics especially U. humboldtii(whos seed are only viable for a couple of hours if not wet) are very short lived usually. nep seeds are also short lived. as a rule...those with a tough shell can last a while. so many of the tuberous drosera seeds, sarr seeds and cold temperate pings and dews.
Alex

Did you have any species in particular in mind?

Back