What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Dormacy

Cynic,
December is pretty late for starting dormancy, your plants should already be well into the process by now. I have never needed to do dormancy in the fridge, so I cant help you much with that. I have read advice from other growers that its not THAT hard to do, I think people are making way more out of it than they really need to. Your temps look a little on the low range but they should be ok if you bury the pots and use lots of mulch. Bringing the plants indoors on the coldest nights is not a problem at all (I could swear I said that already in this thread lol) I routinely bring my plants indoors when I know the temps will drop below 30 F.

Good luck
Steve

VFT guy in Sj

What do you mean "bury the pot and use lots of mulch?

Otis,
Basicly I mean insulate the pot as much as possible. A small pot sitting exposed to freezing temps will freeze solid relatively quickly, however if its burried and covered with mulch, the insulating factor of the mulch and the ground will protect the small pot from freezing. Think of it like this:  Take an ice cube tray and fill only 1 cell with water, then take a large pan and fill it with water to the same depth of the cube cell, them put them side by side in the freezer. Which will freeze solid first?  Why?

Steve

My VFTs and sarras stay outdoors year 'round...no matter what the temps are. I've had my VFT pots frozen and the plants have been fine. You can always put them in a protected place (like a porch, next to your house or under steps) which might help if you're worrying about low temps. You don't need to worry about the light factor. You could also mulch around the pots to keep them from freezing.

Just remember these plants grow outdoors in temperate areas and withstand a variety of temps.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, mulching isn't really an option in my situation. Anything else I can do the insulate the pots?

Newspaper and plastic are pretty good insulators also. But i'd sure try the fridge to be sure they don't freeze.

Hello..

I'd appreciate if somebody could help me regarding my VFT's dormancy..I've had her since march, and after so much care the idea of sticking her in the fridge scares the #### out of me..

The mean temperature for my zone is :

Nov 59°F
Dec 56°F
Jan 56°F
Feb 59°F

I've currently have her with a 6500k 1800 lumen light setup, with a timer set for 8 hours of light a day.

What do you suggest, should I really go for the fridge, or should I adjust the timer for less light, etc.?

Thanks a lot in advance.

smile.gif

With those temps you could grow it outside.  Here's a link to the average teps for Wilmington, NC, which is in the area that VFTs grow wild.  Just compare the temps to those in your area to get an idea of whether you could grow the plants outside all year.  Humidity won't have as much effect on your plants as the temps will.  My flytraps have handled low humidity without a problem for years.  They just need to get adjusted to it slowly.   Monthly Averages for Wilmington, NC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dragonfly @ Nov. 28 2003,7:39)]Hello..

I'd appreciate if somebody could help me regarding my VFT's dormancy..I've had her since march, and after so much care the idea of sticking her in the fridge scares the #### out of me..

The mean temperature for my zone is :

Nov 59°F
Dec 56°F
Jan 56°F
Feb 59°F

I've currently have her with a 6500k 1800 lumen light setup, with a timer set for 8 hours of light a day.

What do you suggest, should I really go for the fridge, or should I adjust the timer for less light, etc.?

Thanks a lot in advance.

smile.gif
Dragonfly,
with those kinds of temps, your conditions are nearly PERFECT for growing VFTs outdoors all year long!
maybe a tad on the warm side for winter, but should still be cool enough that the plants will go properly dormant..
If I were you, I would grow VFTs and Sarracenia outdoors all year long!
I wouldnt bother keeping anything inside ever at all..
you are lucky!
I live in the land of 5 months of snow and ice and temps well below zero, I have to use the fridge!
you dont!
its a bit late now..but your VFT should definately go outdoors right away..
what are your daytime highs and nightime lows looking like right now?
if its not too cold, your plant could go outdoors and start to go dormant naturally..even though its already December..
that is definately a better option that trying to keep it indoors all winter..(no dormancy at all = certain death)
in fact, if you have a suitable outdoor growing space, I would put it outdoors right now and never bring it back inside ever again!
smile.gif

Scot

Back