What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT care question (Brown to black)

I recently just started to take care my 1st VFT. Had a great time feeding for the first time since it was store bought from HD. Now after I fed it i wanted it to get used to the California sun with enough shade on it. So after a few days after i fed my boy, some of the traps turned black and some turn brown. So heres my main question should i cut them of or just let them be since some of them still have the feed inside and is it normal for them to turn brown to black just like that

Could just be the plant acclimating to a new environment...but please tell me that you didn't give it something silly like hamburger meat. Cut the brown/black parts off, they won't do the plant any good.

How many traps did u feed. If u feed more then 3 a week or so the plant could die. Id also check if roots are hanging out of the bottom of the pot vfts don't like wet roots all the time. And it could be acclimating to ur temp but could also be ur watering with the wrong water aswell. Could u post a picture and give us more info thanks :) Goodluck

More than three a week and the plant could die, where do you get this misinformation, all my plants outside would of fed themselves to death long ago

More than three a week and the plant could die, where do you get this misinformation, all my plants outside would of fed themselves to death long ago

Agreed. Most of my plants outside have all of their traps closed most of the time. A healthy VFT can handle a large amount of prey; feeding a weak one that much will cause the traps to blacken and fungus to break out, but plants in such a pitiful state are already on the path to dying and succumb to poor cultivation rather than overfeeding.

Agreed. Most of my plants outside have all of their traps closed most of the time. A healthy VFT can handle a large amount of prey; feeding a weak one that much will cause the traps to blacken and fungus to break out, but plants in such a pitiful state are already on the path to dying and succumb to poor cultivation rather than overfeeding.

Absolutely untrue. I have plants that regularly have 80% of their traps loaded with insects.

All this. It is nearly impossible to naturally overfeed a plant, for a flytrap to get nitrogen burn you have to stuff it with nitrogen rich food. Outdoor bugs just can't do that, generally it is something like bloodworms with a high nitrogen content, which of course must be manually fed. Veronis did a little write up on this subject on another forum.

@ Miguel

Transitioning a store-bought VFT (which was likely kept indoors in an enclosed container) to outdoor conditions will generally wilt all of the existing leaves. Cut off the blackening traps at the 'stem' that connects them to the leaf, put them in full sun, keep them in a tray of water, and be patient.

The existing leaves will probably get sunburnt and wilt, but the next leaf or two that form will be fully acclimated, and likely form much larger, healthier looking traps than when you bought it.

I fed them fly's how do I post pics on here?! they started healthy and since I had them I fed them only once with flies in 3 pods. watered then with distilled water not tap. and yes ive been trimming the dead ones off. theres a few that's still healthy. this my first one so im still getting used to it. I just hope they are just acclimating from the store to the outside and vice versa. I put them south at my window just in case the sun is too much

Last edited:
I was talking about a plant that is getting acclimated to a new place that is having issues. I wasnt stating it as a Fact in general i have about 32 Venus fly traps and they eat heavily. I was assessing the situation at hand. Cause ive read that plants getting used too their new enviornment are slow until they get used to their new surroundings a d that can hinder their feeding ability and cause their traps to die back. Plus I've seen experiments done online with plants getting every trap on it filled at the same time and suffer.. but if u feed a vft and fill every trap at different times and they are all closed with a meal they are happy and healthy.
You also need to take into consideration this is a home depot VFT who knows what conditions its been having to live with. That alone would cause some issues depending how long the plants been sitting in their.

And when u say u fed them flies do u mean live flies or did u swat them then feed them to ur VFT? Cause if their insides are squished out sometimes it eats threw the trap because of their stomach acid. I've read that flys aren't the healthiest choice for a meal anyways cause it uses a lot of energy to make alot of liquid to digest the fly more so then with other prey they tried, and im assuming that if yr plant is in rough shape that could cause yr traps to die back too

Last edited:
Good grief :0o:

I put them south at my window just in case the sun is too much

Unless you live in the Sahara, or possibly in the Arctic Circle with 24-hour daylight, there's no such thing as too much sun where VFT's are concerned. Mine get about 12+ of full, unadulterated sunlight and thrive. Putting them in a south-facing window is like starving them. You'll likely notice attenuated growth, soft leaves, and smaller traps than you should be getting.

Less sun also means a weaker plant, resulting in a reduced capability to handle large amounts of prey, especially with a plant that was just rescued from the tender mercies of the department store. If you wish to save all the traps, it may be prudent to hold off on feeding your new plant, just for a while.

I don't quite understand this fad among beginner growers with growing VFTs and other temperate carnivores with high-light requirements in poorly-lighted terrariums/places indoors. Sure, it might look cool for a year, but it'll look a lot less cool once the plants are dead. I understand that some people like to have their plants in close proximity for ease of ogling all the time, but I would rather take the time to go outside and marvel at healthy plants rather than constantly look at a dingy terrarium that reminds me of my poor horticultural skills. Unless you live in the Gobi Desert or an exceptionally shady neighborhood (pun intended), there's really no excuse NOT to grow outside.

Last edited:
I agree outside growing is healthier, but i grow mine on an enclosed sunporch / greenhouse with the Windows open in strong sun and they are healthy as can be. Terrariums are better for other CPs in my opinion as much as id like to look at my lovelies all the time id rather they grow healthy and beautiful where they are currently in my sunporch.

U should move ur plan in full sun it'll prob lose its traps and replace them with new traps some may burn or die from acclimation..etc..etc but as long as new growth is present their shouldn't be much to worry about. VFTs like full sun and can take as much as other plants can if not more so and better then them. Give it time i think you'll be surprised at how well VFTs acclimate too your surroundings and temp. You just need good sun light to get the best results.

i found the culprit i guess. i think i watered my plant a lil too much and when i checked up on my plant this morning it has white mold on top of the soil so i have to re-pot and re soil my plant....how do i revive it from a bad state like that

miguel,
you have a weak plant..not your fault, it was that way when you bought it.
you are also over-fussing with it, and over-thinking..here is what you should do:

1. dont repot it.
2. put in a tray of distilled water, or rain water.
3. put it outside in FULL sun. not indoors, not on a windowsill, not under shade, outside in FULL sun.

Do *nothing* to it for the next month, except keep water in the tray.

That will give it the best chance of surviving..
all you can do is give it everyrhing it needs: good water, and FULL sun.
the full sun will take care of the mold..
the fact that you are getting mold on the surface tells me you havent been giving it enough light! ;)
and/or..you have it indoors, or too sheltered from the elements..

also, where do you live? (just a city and state is fine)
your location will be important when its time to think about winter dormancy.

Kat,
you should consider stopping giving advice until you have been growing CP's for at least two years..
about half of what are saying is wrong..it's not helpful.
you haven't yet learned the difference between what you read on the internet, and what is true..
sorry, but its just a fact..there is a learning curve.

Scot

Last edited:
Back