What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia graminifolia - My Experiences

A few people might find this interesting so I'll post up some photos. I "harvested" a bit today for shipping, had to pull out about 1/2" of the mud with it but some quick rinsing and the UG was mostly mud free and the mud was returned to the setup.

Harvested bit.

Utricularia graminifolia by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Close-up.

Under the mat.

Close-up

I have a mat of U. graminifolia just like that is a jar with just enough water to keep the 'roots' moist. It grows and flowers with no substrate.

any6q1.jpg

Last edited:
What are the recommended temperature ranges for this species?

@ Mobile: That's interesting how it seems to stay away from the edges of the bowl. Is there a light directly above it?

That's a lot of green! My little cup will not go green but it flowers like crazy. Been flowering for months now.

What are the recommended temperature ranges for this species?

I would try not to freeze it. I keep it in a sealed container so it can get pretty hot (maybe around 90) but it is indoors.

Middle of summer and looks like I've never make it too fall without shipping some out, so here are some photos before it gets ripped up again.

DSC_0627 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0628 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

DSC_0629 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
Side view of the pump area.

DSC_0630 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mine basically looks like this, but terrestrial, once it gets established. Weird little Utric. The only one I have besides U. fulva that carpets the soil thickly with "leaves."

So 12-14 months ago I started with the photo below, harvested a good amount for the 2014 NASC auction around Apr 2014, harvested a lot more June 2014, and the last harvest was in Nov 2014.

DSC_0832 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Updated photos of what it looks like today this is likely 95% grown in, it simply will not look much better than this without flowers and I just can not get this species to flower.

Here is about 1/2 of the total that grew in over the winter.

More of a closeup.

And a side view of to give an idea of the thickness of the mat.

The U. graminifolia you gave me has been doing great, I keep some of it in trays when I water my cephalotus and it seems to like that. Haven't figured out how to stimulate flowering, however for some reason I did get one little stalk out of the bunch. Thanks again, these guys grow like weeds!
16505103674_075e740ccd.jpg

Last edited:
Randall do you vary the light hours? That seems to urge my utrics to bloom. In stable unchanging light hours they just grow and grow but hardly ever throw out a flower.

Also, I let the water evaporate out on the U. gramminifolia tray before refilling it.

A thread with excellent habitat shots. Amazing how densely the leaves grow - even in the wild.

I have varied the light levels but never the temps.

Thought I share my experience.

Growing mine in a small undrained pot, growing in a south facing window. Water levels I let fluctuate above / below the leaves. Growing undisturbed in this pot for 3 years now. Never flowered for me.

CameraZOOM-20150526230620125_zpsveqo1ijc.jpg

I got a small plug from Jimscott ages ago and planted it as a terrestrial in 50/50 sand/peat moss. It started growing out the drain holes and seemed happier as an aquatic then a terrestrial. However I see the green stolons are now re-inhabiting the surface of the media. It has regularly flowered for me over the years but I've never been able to get a good picture as the flower were only visible through the semi-translucent cup I have the pot in. This time one ventured above the level of the pot.

I tried various lighting methods to try to show the subtle colors:
IMGP1840_zpsz8fzwuy2.jpg

IMGP1839_zpse4r1hmgq.jpg

IMGP1835_zpsgw7o97qm.jpg

IMGP1829_zpsihjaviee.jpg

IMGP1824_zpsgebs0egh.jpg

After growing this plant for 3 1/2 years it has finally flowered.

I've been growing this species on and off for about 3 or 4 years and finally got a flower from it. Not a great pic, but my lens doesn't cooperate any closer:

Back