What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Utricularia in Sarracenia pot

Hey guys, my recent purchases are full of surprises! Just the other day I was admiring my Sarracenia when I spotted this flower growing in it. I believe it is of Utricularia origin? If you guys could help me out on identifying it I would be gratefully. I have never had one of these before, and it appears that I may have multiple individuals in my pot. If you need more pictures I can take more. Thanks for any help you can give.

It is Utricularia bisquamata.

Utricularia bisquamata is a prolific weed. If you aren't careful it will spread to your entire collection in short order.

Is their a good way to remove them or is it best just to wait for the seed and plant those because I don't mind the look of the flowers at all. I just would like to have a pot with them in it only.

Last edited:
It depends on the plant. Smaller Drosera and seedlings can easily get swamped. If you have any other species of utrics the U. bisquamata can also grow into it and form a horrible inseparable mass.

Ahhh thats scary!
Cant seperate them really!!

Last edited:
Bisquamata is weedy. At least try to pull out all of the inflorescences before they flower, nothing like a torrent of seeds to infect the rest of your collection.

Back