What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Arisaema

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
I was just given a pot full of Arisaemas that I was hoping somebody could help me id. They had a tag saying A. triphyllum, and the person who gave them to me swears it's what they are, but I have never seen a triphyllum with a spadix like this one has. They are hardy in zone 6B and allegedly self seed freely. I think it might be A. yunnannense, but I'm far from certain. Sorry for the crappy pics. Anybody?

Attachments

• ua.jpg
    ua.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 64
  • ua1.jpg
    ua1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
It appears to be asiatic in origin, but I can only tell you what it isn't: A. triphyllum.

That absolutely is not A. triphyllum.

Yeah the woman I got it from is, uh, a bit eccentric, and there was no telling her different. She's an outstanding gardener, and very knowledgeable about a lot of things, but Arisaemas sure aren't one of them. I knew for certain it wasn't native which is why I didn't plant it, but I kind of had to take it to get the Eupatorium coelestinum I really wanted. If anyone's interested in some there are at least a dozen plants in the pot. I'll probably pot up a few to donate to next year's auction, but I'll have at least a few to give away once they go dormant.

Looks like A.tortuosum or A.heterophyllum to me. Got any close ups of the flowers ?

The flower is similar to them, but the leaves are totally different. It actually does have the tripartite leaf structure of triphyllum, while heterophyllum and tortuosum have many more leaflets, like dracontium. I'll try to get some better pics.

My A.dracontium, leaves in particular look very different from these. The spadix is also much shorter and more regularly shaped than on these plants. Perhaps something closer to A.intermedium or A.propingquum ?

Last edited:
I'd put money on it being in the genus Pinellia, not Arisaema. I've got a few forms of Pinellia tripartata that look similar to this. The flowers do not always have a reddish interior to the spathe like in the google pictures.

We may have a winner there Mason.

Pinellia it is. No such luck that it would be tripartata. Pinellia ternata. I wonder how long it can live without water?

Back