What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uhg....stupid prowler around the house

What if he just so happened to have a fetish for 6'6" guys with long hair?
I remember 2 Christmases ago, a rapist escaped from jail and was apparently hiding out in my town. I didn't care, until I found out he had raped like 15 dudes.

What if he just so happened to have a fetish for 6'6" guys with long hair?
I remember 2 Christmases ago, a rapist escaped from jail and was apparently hiding out in my town. I didn't care, until I found out he had raped like 15 dudes.

ROFLMAO OMG... that post really made me crack up out loud.

Lol... anywho I'm with PK on this one. I have a 12 gauge for home defense as well, but I prefer my Glock 17 with the laser/light combo. It's really bright and aiming is point and click (A good shotgun pumping sound will deter just about anyone though). Either way California is super lame about crimes like this. I swear the criminals have more rights than the victims. Their have been more than a few cases where home invaders end up suing people that hurt them in self defense. I remember a classic piece of advice a San Diego cop once gave me: "If you're going to shoot someone breaking into your house, make sure he doesn't live." I'm glad you defended your home Kristoff. Next time grab the 308 though and don't take any chances. Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

my mom had a guy like that when she was a kid except it was more than her house and the guy dressed up in a gorilla suit.

My parents and I are going through a situation with some new neighbors. They have to be IN the house to be shot. If they are on your property, legally you can't do anything. We were told you must go inside and call the sheriff and wait for them to get there to take care of it (which would be 45 minutes to get to my house). Messed up eh?

The way the laws are written, one can't even protect ones property unless they enter the dwelling.

Crystal

ELECTRIC FENCE!! haha with live barbwire see if they enter your yard then.
they have to climb it to get inside. Or set up motion detection sprinklers and put them near the entrances so that any intruders will get sprayed with water, you might get wet though.Check your laws and stuff, I think you might be able to shoot with them on the property but you probably have to have a DO NOT TRESSPASS sign every so many feet on your property.

No Trespassing signs don't do nor mean a thing here in NC. We've had a lot of legal advice lately, they must be in the house; otherwise we are just supposed to stand by and call the law. It's ridiculous. We had to put up a 7 foot privacy fence.

EDIT: SirKristoff you did the right thing. If you had done something, and you were not sued or sent to jail, you still might have had the incident on your mind. I'm glad to hear he was caught. Hopefully you won't be seeing him again!

Crystal

Typically people have the right to come and go off your property without being harmed period. Hence, what Crisstal is experiencing.

The neighbor's kid going to get a ball that came into the yard.
The electric company reading the meter.
The postal worker delivering mail.
The religious person looking to talk to you at your front door.
Curious about, but I'd imagine, the neighbor trying to get a Frisbee off your roof.

The drunk driving through your lawn. My old family friend used to have this problem, she had a corner house and roudy / drunk teens would end up driving through her lawn instead of turning the corner. They were so fed up with it, that they asked the city if they could put up a fence, rocks, a tree, tire spikes, anything to stop it from happening. She was told if you put anything in your yard to specifically damage / hurt someone from doing this, she would be liable for any injury. -Including- The rocks and trees.

For meter readers... Even if you put out a beware of dog sign, let out your dog, not knowing the meter person is back there and gets bit... you're still liable.

Typically people have the right to come and go off your property without being harmed period. Hence, what Crisstal is experiencing.

The neighbor's kid going to get a ball that came into the yard.
The electric company reading the meter.
The postal worker delivering mail.
The religious person looking to talk to you at your front door.
Curious about, but I'd imagine, the neighbor trying to get a Frisbee off your roof.

The neighbor kid with the pencil running to poke your flytraps traps.
Only happened once I said "NOOO!" before anything happened and I asked her kindly to not play with my plants, then I told her they only close for insects so poking them wouldn't make them close. She then proceeded to run off and play and I haven't had any problems since.

They were so fed up with it, that they asked the city if they could put up a fence, rocks, a tree, tire spikes, anything to stop it from happening. She was told if you put anything in your yard to specifically damage / hurt someone from doing this, she would be liable for any injury. -Including- The rocks and trees.
And that is why you don't say anything about why you are putting up a tree, becuase then you could say it was not to specifically stop anything from happening you just wanted a tree in that corner of your yard and this guy was foolish enough to crash into it.
Spikes might not pass though I mean who just puts spikes in there yards as decorations?

i get scared very easily!!! even when i am not alone!! I have a semi anxety and a worst case senario.

my mom had a guy like that when she was a kid except it was more than her house and the guy dressed up in a gorilla suit.
scary

oh no thats not scary, what scary is when there was a guy entering a tent becuase there stepdad made her and her siblings sleep outside and she had to rip the back of the tent to escape.
The gorilla guy well he was found to be the neighbor guess he was just scaring people or pulling a hoax.

Nate,

About the coming and going thing, in Texas, we specify from sunset to sunrise, you're not allowed to be on someone's property without expecting The Reckoning. I remember quite a few years ago, there was a guy that lived in a trailer park, and he heard someone messing around underneath it at ~midnight. He went out, saw someone underneath his trailer, and shot and killed the guy. The shooter wasn't charged.
In Lubbock a while back, there was a tractor stealing ring composed of illegal immigrants. Eventually a farmer caught them, and shot and killed to of them, even though they were running. He got off too.

From the Texas penal code:
Deadly Force to Protect Property

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to prevent the other who is fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, or theft during the nighttime, from escaping with the property and he reasonable believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other means; or, the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the property would expose him or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. (Nighttime is defined as the period 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.)"

Deadly Force in Defense of Person

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another if he would be justified in using force under Section 9.31 of the statute when and to the degree he reasonable believes that deadly force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force, if a reasonable person in the same situation would have not retreated. The use of deadly force is also justified to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, r4pe or robbery."

The rest is here: http://www.self-defender.net/law3.htm

Have I already mentioned how much I love Texas?

Yup then it defiantly varies state to state... I can't find the law stating it... but here's an article where another store owner got arrested for firing at 3 fleeing robbers. (He would be charged with 6 to 30 years in prison for doing so)

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2008/01/29/news/local/doc47a009acc2cae754567044.txt

“The law in Illinois is that you cannot defend property with deadly force,” Owens said.

“I know a lot of people object to this type of charge, but we, as prosecutors, must follow what laws our legislators have passed in the state of Illinois.”

Don't be so sure about attacking someone on your property just because they are on your property.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/deli-owner-uses-hammer-to-fend-off-attackers/2674920346

Here's a video of 4 teens beating up a deli worker after he confronted them about stealing food. While the clerk was being beaten up, the owner woke up, came out to see his relative being beaten. Grabs a hammer and knocks one of them in the head, to chase them out of the store. The teen is in critical condition. And the only one charged so far is the deli store owner with multiple felony accounts and a $150,000 bond.

Really depends on your local DA and state laws. Arizona and Florida have Castle Doctrine laws so you are pretty much free to take whatever measures are necessary to insure your safety. Chasing somebody down is NOT an option in any state as far as I know though. That is no longer considered self defense, but assault. You better believe anybody that breaks into my house is going to be very sorry and won't be breaking into any other homes any time soon if ever again... should they pose a threat and decide not to run at the sight of an AR15 of course. ;)

Self defense laws vary from each state.In general you can only use deadly force when you are in fear of yours or another persons life. If you are in a situation like this you may have to prove that you were in fear of your life.

Thats right, that case is there so you cant just shoot whoever pisses you off in the head when they trespass however much some people may want to.

We've had a lot of legal advice lately, they must be in the house; otherwise we are just supposed to stand by and call the law. It's ridiculous. We had to put up a 7 foot privacy fence.
Crystal

That's why you're supposed to drag the body back into your house after you shoot. Maybe put a knife in the intruder's hand to make them look more hostile.

We don't have to worry about burglars because we have a viscous guard dog.

Bebesleeping.jpg

People actually say having a dog in one's house deters burglary. Most burglars are afraid the dog will bark and wake up the owners, who will then get their guns or call the police.

Well I don't have any guns in my house, but I have a handful of things in my room to defend myself with.

1. Lacrosse Stick
2. Bass Guitar
3. Acoustic Guitar
4. Surfboard
5. French Horn
6. 15 Gallon Terrarium (I think that would be effective:D)

-Maxx

6. 15 Gallon Terrarium (I think that would be effective:D)

Just remember to take out the plants, Maxx.

xvart.

Ok I'll tell the trespasser to hold on a second while I remove the plants :-)) . Oh and since I raise mantids, I have a small plastic container (closed of course) brimming with big ol' flys that are buzzing around 24/7. Let's see how they like that! :)

Back