What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Livida - Growing Tips?

I got a very small clump of U. Livida a little over a year ago. I used a mixture of peat and perlite as a substrate, and placed it in a water tray next to my sundews (due to space constraints), under a set of fluorescent lights, and where the temperature range is approximately 20-25 deg. Celsius.

Since then, it has taken over most of the pot (10cm/4in diameter and 7.5cm/3in height) along with some kind of moss. The roots are very long - coming out of the pot - in a picture below you can see a small plantlet which apparently grew in the water tray.

So it appears the plant doesn't suffer...however, the leaves are quite small and it has never flowered, so conditions are probably not optimal (as expected).

I now have more space, so I can make some changes. Any tips on what I should change? Should it be re-potted to a larger pot? Only top-watering?

UtriculariaLivida2012-12-08.jpg

UtriculariaLividaRoots2012-12-08.jpg

most terrestrials need to reach critical mass before flowering aka, needs to fill up the entire pot. i wouldnt worry too much about it. your plant seems to be doing well.

I find it interesting that your plant is refusing to flower. Many (most?) of the clones in circulation flower early & profusely. Here's a pic of a tiny pot that has not been established long (note the lack of moss) but still has 2 flower stalks. U. livida has a very large distribution and therefore likely has significant variability. To survive, plants adapt to their local habitats and yours may require some additional triggers (although it may just need to be more potbound as Jon suggested). Additional triggers include seasonal photoperiod, temperature variation & moisture levels.

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I'll give it some more time in its conditions; perhaps when spring arrives the increased photo-period will induce flowering.

I agree with the comment that most livida in cultivation seem to flower profusely, and maybe you have a different form. Providing plants with natural sunlight instead of artificial light, and letting the plant experience changing photoperiod throughout the year can often induce desired flowering, as well as several other factors; but I would start out by changing the light it is receiving and go from there. So, you're on the right track. Try natural sunlight though, if you can.

Back