What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. bisquamata; let the war begin!

So my sorta unknown Utric that came with my P. caerulea (thanks Lois, at least for the Ping anyways, lol) just sent up a stalk, and turns out to be U. bisquamata. I don't want this thing to spread, but the flowers are nice looking. Lol, whatever.

DSCN2761.jpg

DSCN2763.jpg

I've got a better pic on my cam, but it's charging....:-(

Ok, so it's not that much better, but it's not as 'blue'.

DSCN2767.jpg

Is it normal for the spur to be so long and the skirt to be so small?

-Ben

I don't know if JLAP is still looking for U. bisquamata but you could clip the seed pod before it bursts and send it to him if he still needs some. He posted his wants a few days after I clipped mine and tossed it. :blush:

Yes, they are surprisingly pretty flowers. The colors seem to really come out just before the flower starts to dry up.

Looks like he got some already, based on the posts from other people on that topic, but I can always ask him about it.

I'm amazed at how tiny that thing is. It must either have really small pollinators, or just rely on self-pollination.

-Ben

How long does it take for bisquamata seeds to germinate? I spread some of mine around in pots a week or so back and am just curious. I could, of course, just take plugs if I really wanted to.

How long does it take for bisquamata seeds to germinate? I spread some of mine around in pots a week or so back and am just curious. I could, of course, just take plugs if I really wanted to.

It took mine a little under a month but the temps were lower than usual. They suddenly appeared in large amounts after I thought none would come up.

Mine took about a month as well. That was intentional sowing of seed. Now they just invade nearby pots!

oh joy!!!!! I can't wait!!!!
mine have also just started putting up a flowerstalk.

this will be my first Bladderwort flower!

If you really want to share, ......

Steve

this is the "normal", weedy, self-pollinating, small "skirted" (lower petal) plant. Some other clones are much larger in flower, see my avatar which is cv. 'Betty's Bay'

Bisquamata...shoot me now...
That plant is my no.1 enemy! The day I get rid of it from ALL my sarra pots, ALL my drosera pots, ALL my vft pots, ALL my seedling trays, ALL new plants that arrive where it pops up within two months....In fact the day I can kick it off this planet Ill rest easy!
My opinion...Pull out that ping and toss that potting mix ASAP, defore bisquamata takes hold.

Back