What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two “myths” about coloring up traps… Fact or Fiction?

But a plant kept covered by vegetation will not colour up! :-))

Which is probably why you are less likely to find them in the wild growing under vegetation. They probably don't seed as well from lack of food.

:p well...many pics of VFTs in the wild seem to be covered by grass.

Well... this matter keeps getting trecherous. :p

I haven't been around here much because my other hobby and schoolwork are demanding most of my time, but I saw something today and I would like to report it.

I have been neglecting my CPs... "good" neglecting though; mainly just swiftly watering and applying the weekly insecticide to the ones that had mealybugs, and not paying much attention to the dying foliage. Anyway, as most of you know now autumn is right around the corner and the sun's intensity is lessening everyday. With that, UV index ratings in my area have gone down significantly (from months of severe ratings to normal in a matter of a week or two).

As I was watering today I noticed that the traps on my 'Big Mouth" seemed quite dark in color. After taking a closer look I saw that the traps had gained a significant amount of red color. I looked at my other VFTs and the same applied. ALL of them have started to gain red!

After all these posts in this topic I don't know what to conclude... Lots of light, a little bit of light, a little bit of shade.... *sigh*

Back