What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turface mineral content

Hey TF. I picked up some turface a few months ago. The initial washing yielded water with a TDS of 300-400ppm! Is this typical for turface? I have washed it a few more times but continue to get TDS readings in the range of 100ppm. Not sure if this is standard or not. I got it off ebay so anythings possible.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes, Turface is very dusty. Make sure to wash it well unless you're using it solely for Mexican/Central American Pinguicula.

Definitely wash it. It usually takes 8 or 9 changes of water to get all the dust out of mine.

One thing to consider when discussing tds is what ions you're talking about. For example 200 ppm water where the predominant source of ions is limestone will not be as deleterious to many plants as 200 ppm water where the predominant source of ions is seawater contamination. Calcium and carbonate ions tend to require higher concentration for toxicity than the sodium and chloride that are the predominant ions in seawater.

Last edited:
Back