What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tsunami warnings issued for Pacific rim

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey all, chances are you'll hear this via other channels before here, but in case you're like me and without TV, please be advised; there was a series of massive quakes off the Pacific coast of Japan earlier, and a tsunami is headed towards Hawaii and the west coast. (And elsewhere in the Pacific I imagine.) It's due to strike my area in the early morning, but will reach Hawaii in the next few hours. If you're in a low-lying coastal area, please check your local emergency broadcasts.
I know we don't have many members in Japan, but I can think of several of you in the region of the south China seas, and I hope you and yours are safe.
Please take care,
~Joe

Last edited:
Truly sad what happened. Whoever is in harm's way... please heed these warnings and be safe.

Phil

I have seen this on the news. I hope everybody stays safe.

The Bushwacker

The 51' 1 million $ yacht I crew on, cannot leave the Port due to rough seas at the Chetco Bar.
Looks like we will have to stand back and watch the damage occur here.:0o:

Don't really know if it will make it into the sound to be seen in Seattle, but according to the NWS southern Oregon is about to see the arrival of the first waves (IE, not even the biggest ones.) Scary stuff. Just got word from my godmother down near Carlsbad that she's OK and a safe distance out. Poised with binoculars, heh.
Stay safe friends.
~Joe

How horrible.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the supermoon event? I know nothing about it, but have seen a few ramblings online the last few days saying stuff like this could happen as a result.

How horrible.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the supermoon event? I know nothing about it, but have seen a few ramblings online the last few days saying stuff like this could happen as a result.

has to do with the fact Japan is in a major earthquake zone.........

Well earthquakes happen every five minutes or so in Japan. But 8.9 is one of the biggest quakes in recorded history - I think that's pretty exceptional. Still dubious that the moon being a few tenths of a percent closer than normal would precipitate such an event all on it's own, but I could believe that it strengthened it or gave the extra little push needed to start things moving.
~Joe

key there being recorded history.....for seismographs thats 130 years which is nothing in geologic time.....

True. Still, being on the outer edge of a 7.2 was more than enough for me when I lived in California - I can hardly imagine what 8.9 was like. One report I read estimated that the sea floor at the epicenter jumped up by a height of 20 meters. That's totally crazy.
~Joe

its a major quake, no doubt, but its not unnatural and the world aint coming to an end cause the moon is slightly closer than usual in a week or so......every time one of these things hit be it an earthquake or a storm Katrina all the sudden the sky is falling and the worlds coming to an end....hell we havent even had a truly major volcanic eruption since Krakatoa vaporized 120 some years ago......the world aint ending, its the natural cycle of things.....

Well, I'm right near the coast (have a little bit of a view of the harbor from my couch) so I'll tell you guys in the next hour or so when this thing is supposed to make landfall here should something massive come along and try to sweep the airport clean...

Primo seats! Glad to hear you're safe.
~Joe

In the 90s I was on Maui visiting friends when there was a tsunami warning. My friend's house was above Lahaina with a great view so all his friends went to his place with essentials like food, water, toilet paper and lots of booze. I went out to sea on another friend's small fishing boat with my camera. We fished for nabeta (ono eating). The wave was about 18 inches when it got to Lahaina.

20 minutes to go for LA.

ooo nabeta really good eating fish. fry them crispy scales and all. nice crunch. Wave is bigger than it was in the 90's..... Will be interesting trying to do things this weekend. wondering if my work vehicle got washed away.......

Last edited:
Yes, 5.7 ft (1.74 m) Kahului - 4.6 ft (1.4m) Hilo. Streets are still dry here. Some damage up at Santa Cruz harbor - boats broken loose, docks damaged.

Reports now of 6 ft waves at 28 min intervals Kahului.

More than 1000 killed in Japan.

Last edited:
its a major quake, no doubt, but its not unnatural and the world aint coming to an end cause the moon is slightly closer than usual in a week or so......every time one of these things hit be it an earthquake or a storm Katrina all the sudden the sky is falling and the worlds coming to an end....hell we havent even had a truly major volcanic eruption since Krakatoa vaporized 120 some years ago......the world aint ending, its the natural cycle of things.....

I was in no way implying the world is coming to and end. I understand that it is a natural cycle of lunar orbit and has occured many many times in the past. I was just wondering if anyone knew or thought there was merit to the claim a supermoon in some way influenced this from a scientific standpoint. Perhaps triggered it early. I personally know nothing of the topic and never heard the term supermoon until a few days ago.

EDIT:
I guess I should have taken note what kind of people were claiming this.... LOL. Astrologers.... I need new glasses. That is hardly scientific. Nevermind. :)

Last edited:
Back