What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

treating sphagnum culture with peroxide?

erx7au.jpg
I was wondering if anyone has experience treating with peroxide on sphagnum specifically and if they have a ratio that worked for them. the fungus isnt overwhelming the moss but I'd like to get it under control before it does. the moss was in an undrained tray with a humidity dome on it when it grew the fungus, since I have noticed the white fungus I have added drainage and removed the humidity dome from the moss culture. any tips help.

A new culture of sphagnum moss usually gets this White mold type stuff, after a while it disappears. Never found it harmful for the moss or plants potted in it. Hope this helps,

Mark

that helps alot considering this culture is maybe a week old, so that is reassuring. Ill keep an eye on it but the main question is still open, anyone with experience using hydro peroxide on sphagnum please step forward.

Why did you add drainage? The Humidity dome was all you needed to remove, I do wonder why you used it in the first place.

Sphagnum moss used to be used for bandaging pre-antibiotics as it acts as a natural fungicide.

http://www.magicmoss.co.nz/natures-bandage-xidc90653.html

Forget your chemical treatments and just grow it properly.

I agree with Fred, put it back in the undrained tray without the dome, that's how I have over 7 different species of sphag growing outside, in the greenhouse's and on windowsills. Yeah no need for fungicide on sphag either.
Happy growing

Mark

Try using a spray-bottle with distilled water first. Just spray the bejeezus out of the mold until it flattens to the point where you can hardly see it. After that, and grown well, it may not come back. (Anecdotal. That's how I've dealt with minor infestations, and it's worked in the past.)

For peroxide, you could try 2 tsp. 3% peroxide solution to 1 cup of water. May or may not be enough to kill the fungus, but that ratio hasn't hurt my sphagnum. I would definitely want to be able to drain / flush that if I were going to treat very much of it, though. I've only used it on sphag that's potted along with plants, so it doesn't really have a chance to sit for long.

Zath, NO

Sphagnol, a property of Sphagnum Moss, prevents mould and mildew on plants.

Zath, NO

Sphagnol, a property of Sphagnum Moss, prevents mould and mildew on plants.

Understood. I was just trying to give him a ratio that I've used for other reasons that didn't kill any live sphagnum along with whatever I was treating. But again, I highly recommend just spraying it away with distilled water. May retard the growth of the mold long enough for the sphagnum to catch up and control any future issues. :)

Why did you add drainage? The Humidity dome was all you needed to remove, I do wonder why you used it in the first place.

Sphagnum moss used to be used for bandaging pre-antibiotics as it acts as a natural fungicide.

http://www.magicmoss.co.nz/natures-bandage-xidc90653.html

Forget your chemical treatments and just grow it properly.

I really can't stand backhanded responses like this. for one h202 is found naturally in rain, as you may know h20 = water, as the rain falls through the air it picks up an extra oxygen molecule making h202 aka hydrogen peroxide, it is NOT an artificial compound. with that said, I removed the dome and added drainage for what I thought were obvious reasons ...I see fungus, I lower water and add air circulation.. common sense really. Lastly, I am attempting to grow it right, hence the post and research . sooo.... thanks I guess?

Try using a spray-bottle with distilled water first. Just spray the bejeezus out of the mold until it flattens to the point where you can hardly see it. After that, and grown well, it may not come back. (Anecdotal. That's how I've dealt with minor infestations, and it's worked in the past.)

For peroxide, you could try 2 tsp. 3% peroxide solution to 1 cup of water. May or may not be enough to kill the fungus, but that ratio hasn't hurt my sphagnum. I would definitely want to be able to drain / flush that if I were going to treat very much of it, though. I've only used it on sphag that's potted along with plants, so it doesn't really have a chance to sit for long.

very good sir thank you. went to sleep last night and it was just 1 - 2 nickel sized problem spots with fungus, wake up this morning and around 1/4 of the tray has fuzz. this is obviously something that needs treating, so thank you for providing the advice I asked for :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes in the past when buying store bought live sphagnum I had the same problem. I remember flushing with lots of water and that got rid of it, I put it down to excess nutrients being in the moss and once those are used or flushed out the white filament type mold went away, i read allot of commercially extracted sites are fed quite strong nutrients to get the moss growing back fast.
After I had my own established bog containers in the garden and harvested moss from that for planting or new cultures, I never have come across the mold, only years ago when I had to buy it.

Mark

Last edited:
Thread has been pruned. Let's keep it on topic and be nice.

I would echo some of the advice given so far: Depending on your local humidity, your best bet is probably to keep the water table and lose the dome. You can flood things for a while and pretty effectively choke out the fungus. Or waiting a little bit and letting the top dry a bit will likely take care of it on its own. Good luck!

Last edited:
thank you for the advice

I agree that if there is a fungus or mold that correcting the cause of the issue will in turn get rid of the problem, along with the natural properties of sphagnum of course. If you do however choose to go ahead and treat with peroxide regardless keep this in mind. Peroxide is used to treat algae in planted aquariums quite often. MOST plants will respond well to the treatment, lose any algae on them and never miss a beat. Peroxide will however melt just about any aquatic moss, as well as several other plants that seem to be sensitive to it. I would use caution dosing sphagnum on any moss just based off that. If you do treat I would isolate and treat a small section first.

I treat moss with peroxide almost weekly( I like to hunt for native aquatic moss), it is all about the ratio you use and how long you do it. 3% Peroxide dip has never killed any of my aquatic moss. that being said I dont doubt if I tried to soak the moss in peroxide like you do with plants it will kill the moss. for soaking moss you have to dilute the peroxide so I was curious on a ratio that has been tried and worked, As Zath stated he has treated sphagnum with peroxide and gave me a ratio to start with that didn't harm his moss.

as for the issue, it seems to be the consensus that this is common with a new culture and will either wear itself out or need to be dried or flushed if it continues which is has for me, so peroxide(to be sure I clear all the spores) and a flushing is my next step

Last edited:
And without fixing the cause of the problem what is to prevent the fungus/mold from returning shortly after the treatment?

flushing? I thought that was clear, fungus is feeding on something right so whatever it is needs to be flushed, I just prefer to kill the fungus first .that way I know I am not just watering the fungus. what did you have in mind as for stopping the cause?

Last edited:
I'm somewhat critical when it comes to this sort of thing (also darn fungus gnats!) so I tend to blast it with a neem oil solution which takes care of it without damaging the moss or plants. If I look over it, it will be gone before I know it on its own as others mentioned.

Yea fungus just weirds me out and I don't like the idea of it in my house making spores, so I am kinda the same way. I too love using neem oil in my garden but it stinks too much for indoors otherwise I would.

Back