What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transitioning to outdoor growing during dormancy

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I failed to do my due diligence and research what to do before my plants arrived, but today I only received a small batch (a D. filiformis, D. intermedia and a P. primuliflora). The former two are definitely dormant, but the primuliflora is flowering. Next week I'll be receiving a big order of what I assume will be dormant Sarracenia. I am also going to assume they were/are all grown in greenhouse settings only because they are from somewhat large distributors. Granted, one is more local in south Florida, so they may be not so much in dormancy any longer but I am unsure of that at the moment.

How careful do I need to be transitioning all these plants to full exposure outdoors?

The outdoor space receives probably a good 6 hours or so (at least) of mostly direct sunlight. Temps are currently 60's-70's for a high, but nights are projected to keep dipping into the low 40's/high 30's for the next few weeks or so. I will actually have to be watering myself because it's covered from any direct rain inputs (unfortunately), so I am also unsure how wet I should be keeping them.

I've never actually grown outdoors before, so I may be over thinking this...

Last edited:
I'd say stick em outside in their space and let them do their thing. Those temps sound fine, many of these plants probably grow much further north than you and can handle your temps without issue. As far as watering, during dormancy I keep my Sarrs moist, in the growing season stick em in water 24/7, I used your standard cheap 1020 trays last season but want to look into something bigger and deeper for this year so its only one or two large trays to keep full as opposed to many small ones.

Last edited:
Thanks, wasn't sure if there would be too much temperature shock in either direction at this time in their dormancy.

Thanks, wasn't sure if there would be too much temperature shock in either direction at this time in their dormancy.

Not knowing what they are coming from it would be hard to transition them or even decide which direction you would need to do it in. If you'd like give your best guess and transition them that way, personally I'd be a more cautious with the cold end of things.

Back