What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here I would like to share with you pics of TC jars

drosera graniticola
DSCF0034-2.jpg

drosera zigzagia
seedlings
DSCF0061-1.jpg

drosera ultramafica
DSCF0037.jpg

drosera villosa (real)
DSCF0064.jpg

drosera hirticalyx
DSCF0059.jpg

drosera camporupestris
DSCF0036-2.jpg

DSCF0035-2.jpg

drosera graminifolia 'spiralis'
DSCF0033-1.jpg

drosera kaieteurensis
DSCF0024-3.jpg

drosera alba
DSCF0051.jpg

drosera glabrata
DSCF0018-5.jpg

drosera afra
DSCF0056-2.jpg

DSCF0012-6.jpg

drosera hilaris
DSCF0065.jpg

drosera spatulata var. gympiensis
DSCF0044.jpg

drosera spatulata var. bakoensis
DSCF0048-1.jpg

Wow that's a lot of Drosera! Are they going to get taken out of TC/potted up soon?

I always need a bib to look at your entries, Klasac. :drool:

I sure do love your updates.
Mostly because I get to see some drosera species I've never heard of. Which in turns gives me more to want! :drool:

WOW! You have some very nice species in TC especially the ultramafica!

Impressive!

boy, your collection has sure come along. I can't imagine how much work that was!!! HUGE props to you for maintaining all of those. It still takes me about a full day every 6 weeks or so even to just keep up with ~15 species.

How big is your growing area in which you're keeping all of these jars? And how many batches of media do you make up at once? I've been storing it for 3-4 months before running out of jars and making a new batch.

Beautiful effort there. You almost make me fond of Drosera -- almost . . .

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks,,guys:)
Thez_yo: Yes, they are to be potted up in the greenhouse next month.
CPlantaholic: Most of these jars come from last fall/winter and have only been replated once or twice. Now part of the plants will be deflasked and part will be maintained in TC for further propagation. It is a lot of work, especially having a real full-time job, but I wouldnt be doing it if I didnt find it interesting:) My TC growing space is only few shelves 60 x 70cm.

Pictures look great !!!! :0o: Questions: my Droseras have flowers in vitro. Do you think I will get viable seeds?

Flasker: If the drosera species is self-fertile/self-polinating you might get viable seeds. But even drosera like this will most likely not produce seeds, because the air humidity is close to 100% and the pollen is not dry enough. If the plant is currently on medium with hormones you will not get viable seeds (but that depends on the concentration). Are you thinking of getting sterile seeds right away to save you the trouble of sterilisation process?;-)

Flasker: If the drosera species is self-fertile/self-polinating you might get viable seeds. But even drosera like this will most likely not produce seeds, because the air humidity is close to 100% and the pollen is not dry enough. If the plant is currently on medium with hormones you will not get viable seeds (but that depends on the concentration). Are you thinking of getting sterile seeds right away to save you the trouble of sterilisation process?;-)

Thank Klasac. My Droseras in TC (also my first Drosera) have flowers (only 4 months old). I don't want to touch them because they are too young. I wait until they are a little bigger before I propagate them in hormone. I am not sure their flowers provide seeds or not. It's great if they can give seeds so I don't need to sterilize them. On average, how long does it take for Drosera seeds in ex-vitro to ripe?

Flasker: If your drosera has been in vitro for 4 months and is flowering, they cannot be too young. They are adult now. What drosera species is it? Do you have a picture? I think you can deflask most of the plants and replate the rest on medium (cut the flower stalk). Some species you dont even need to use hormones, they create offshoots spontaneously.
I have never used seeds from in vitro so I never examined how long it takes for them to ripen. The sterilisation process takes few minutes so I dont take that path.

What drosera species is it? Do you have a picture? I think you can deflask most of the plants and replate the rest on medium (cut the flower stalk). Some species you dont even need to use hormones, they create offshoots spontaneously.

Pictures of my D. intermedia cuba (? not sure, I lost label). How can I cut the seedlings for propagation? Cut each leave or divide into small groups? Thanks.

drosera-02.jpg

drosera-01.jpg

Hah! the drosera hilaris looks like drosera hilaris! even through a jar in a jelly.

never thought i'd see drosera flowering in TC
great pics, thanks for sharing - you truly do awesome work

flasker:d intermedia is really weedy in tissue culture so you will not need any hormones to propagate it. She will create offshoots after some time. You can replate her to fresh medium to speed up the process.

Back