What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

those finicky cephs ;)

You always read about how finicky cephs are...

Bah-humbug ;)

Ceph thriving in pure APS:
ceph_aps.jpg

Ceph pulling thriving in pure MiracleGrow Potting Soil:
ceph_miraclegrow.jpg

:-))

wha?!?! That's awesome!

edit:
Also tell us more about the conditions they are in.

:0o:

MIRACLE GRO?

Yeppers... and loving it!

Basic Highland-ish conditions, nothing special

what is APS? and awsome cephs!

APS is short for Aquatic Plant Soil, a brand-name by Schultz. It's a fine gravel made from fired clay. Also known by the brand name Turface, which is much cheaper, even though it's by the same manufacturer. Ceramic chips is a more generic term for it.
Awesome discoveries Butch! I really want to try APS/Hydroton once I get my Ceph cutting rolling... I'm determined to replicate mobile's little setup. The Miracle Gro is kind of surprising, but I guess it makes sense, considering they are only seasonally carnivorous according to some folks.
Just got off the phone with Contractor Lighting and they're sending me THREE replacement ballasts (one for the dead one, two for the others that are slow-starting) and an entire case of replacement tubes, because just six out of the case would be too fragile in the mail. Woohoo!
~Joe

Very cool Joe, they are good people to deal with
I made a self watering variant of mobile's set up but never used it... still sitting in the basement somewhere LOL

Nice cephs! I love the carpet of moss in the second pic :D

It's fun to play with their growing conditions

Thanks for the compliments, but Ive downsized my ceph collection to almost nothing....
Now here is a pic from the good ol days of ceph growing ;)
HG_Divisions.jpg

Those two divisions (plus two more) came from one clump

I find that fertilizer really does seem to help, mine died but came back to life from the roots after I started giving it urea free orchid fert.

I've heard other people report very good results with APS. It has even been suggested as a suitable replacement for perlite.

-Hermes.

It makes a more or less perfect replacement for perlite. Unless you need a media that separates from the rest of your mix in even a light rain and attracts algal slime like a magnet. I wouldn't suggest it as much as insist upon it if it were more available.
~Joe

It makes a more or less perfect replacement for perlite. Unless you need a media that separates from the rest of your mix in even a light rain and attracts algal slime like a magnet. I wouldn't suggest it as much as insist upon it if it were more available.
~Joe

My attitude toward the concentrated pure Evil that is perlite cannot be described on this polite forum; and I long ago replaced that component with pumice.

A couple of Cephalotus that I have kept for rhizome divisions have been grown in that inorganic media with some success . . .

My attitude toward the concentrated pure Evil that is perlite cannot be described on this polite forum; and I long ago replaced that component with pumice.

I agree completely, perlite is the great white satan. :censor:

There are two things that are pure evil: perlite and russian dwarf hamsters.

There are two things that are pure evil: perlite and russian dwarf hamsters.

Yes, especially the hamsters......I wonder if we could replace them with APS too?

Done and done.
~Joe

and I was expecting it to be the Miracle Grow ceph that would stir up discussion :scratch:

It's pretty amazing...I think that's the first cp I've ever heard of growing in miracle grow. It must be some strange Av8tor magics ;)

Round about the couldron go:
In the miracle gro my ceph I throw.
Toad,that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Sweated venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first in the charmed pot.
Double,double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Strike from a pitcher I shall make,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,