What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about starting a collection again...

Sorry about ditching again!
College got pretty intense before Spring Break.
I'll try and get another window and check if I'm really facing the North.
I'll probably get tank with lights or something.

Anyway, I have $150 saved up that I'm willing to spend on building my own setup.

This is what I have so far:
Low-light windowsill
Sand,Perlite,Peat
Several random Drosera seeds
2-3+ years of experience
A ton of time
Monies

What I want:
Plants that can be grown in the same media/terrarium

What I'm looking for:

Cuttings of Pings
Genlisea
Utric seeds

What I can offer:
Random Drosera seeds
An awesome IOU
SASE?

Last edited:
You can't offer to buy on this forum, fyi, only trade. Just wanted you to know before the mods see this and yell at you.

You can't offer to buy on this forum, fyi, only trade. Just wanted you to know before the mods see this and yell at you.
I know that D:

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I have 150 I'm willing to spend for building my own setup.
For now I'm just looking for even more suggestions of plants or tanks I should look into.

Last edited:
Just for your information, Utricularia seed is pretty rare and loses viability quickly. I've tried germinating it in the past and nothing sprouted, so if you get seed you should make sure it hasn't been too long since they were harvested.

I really am looking for a tank + light setup suggestion; I'm pretty bad at spending money.

For $150 you have a lot of options if your spending it all on the setup and not plants.

Buy an Exo-terra, these go on sale 3-4 times a year so I'd watch the chain pet store ads.
Buy a used or new fish tank turn it on its side so the top is now the front then google "10g vertical conversion kit" and DIY something like that. Or just buy the kit.

For lighting you can go with daylight compact flourscents or some of the DIY LED kits.

The entire contruction cost of http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...-Trying-It!-Thermoelectric-Cooling-Fun!/page1 was under $150. Although you don't need the cooling, just some ideas.

This mess of a thread covers some of the DIY LED kits. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...uild-a-Cephalotus-grow-space-would-love-input!

Here is another "fish tank with a compact flourscent" that would easily be under 100. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/125069-New-Vivarium-Project

Lots of options.

For $150 you have a lot of options if your spending it all on the setup and not plants.

Buy an Exo-terra, these go on sale 3-4 times a year so I'd watch the chain pet store ads.
Buy a used or new fish tank turn it on its side so the top is now the front then google "10g vertical conversion kit" and DIY something like that. Or just buy the kit.

For lighting you can go with daylight compact flourscents or some of the DIY LED kits.

The entire contruction cost of http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...-Trying-It!-Thermoelectric-Cooling-Fun!/page1 was under $150. Although you don't need the cooling, just some ideas.

This mess of a thread covers some of the DIY LED kits. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...uild-a-Cephalotus-grow-space-would-love-input!

Here is another "fish tank with a compact flourscent" that would easily be under 100. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/125069-New-Vivarium-Project

Lots of options.

These threads give me hope!!

Definitely looking into an Exo-terra now.

I use those style tanks for my dart frogs, the biggest issue I have is the screen lid losing too much humidity (not sure what level you want to maintain). The cheap way to fix it is to just cover the screen with saran wrap, but what I did was have a half glass lid cut for me from Lowes, drilled it out for a mister head, and then made a screen the size of the other half of the lid, dremeled out the little plastic pieces that hold their screens in, and siliconed my new lid in place.

Photo of what Bonnie is talking about. I left a strip to allow for airflow and lower humidity, just works out better for me since I'm not keeping any reptiles in there.

DSC_0555 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Alright, the tank arrived today.

I'll post more info in a sec.

10374928_447570865386773_2444558447791931390_n.jpg

10384306_447570818720111_2740764672628847215_n.jpg

10385590_447570768720116_22511138074034309_n.jpg

I'm use to having drainage, so how do I deal with tanks?
Is the lighting going to work?
How much do I fill it up with media? (its a 12x12x12)

Last edited:
Still could use advice about the lighting, at least.

I'm use to having drainage, so how do I deal with tanks?
Is the lighting going to work?
How much do I fill it up with media? (its a 12x12x12)

Still could use advice about the lighting, at least.

I gather the terra has a hood wired for incandescent lights? If there is room you could use a compact flourescent. You'll probably want at least a 100 watt equivalent (~23 watt florescent) to get enough light.

'Just my opinion, but I would use the floor of the terra as a watering tray and put my plants in pots there. Or you could place several separate trays there.

Last edited:
Dang, I guess these lizard lights are useless at 25W >:L

I've been trying to get more advice on what to do about this lightning. I found a good bulb but no hood to use it with cause the 12x12x12 is kinda small.

Just use what the light fits in and let the extra hang off the sides. That way you can grow even more plants outside the tank.

Just use what the light fits in and let the extra hang off the sides. That way you can grow even more plants outside the tank.

I second this. I have a 3' grow rack and only bought a 2' light because I didn't like the thought of light hanging off the ends. I now regret this and wish I just went ahead and purchased a longer light fixture...Oh well.

A fairly simple solution for growing plants in a windowsill, but still keeping them humid is to cut the bottom off of a clean soda bottle, and use it as a kind of cloche to cover the plants. Leave the top open, so it doesn't get too stagnant, and excess heat can ventilate without cooking your plants. That might expand your possibilities a little.

Does any company make a socket adapter that might fix the problem for less $$$ ?

Back